We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 110
Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

Tried to search this subject but not finding anything current. We are planning to get to Phoenix (driving from Sedona) around 11am on the morning of April 3 and would like to park at Light Rail to get to the ballgame at Chase. I think we're staying in the Tempe area.

I'm asking this because I'm used to our rapid transit system (BART) where it's impossible to find parking in the middle of the morning at most stations.

Question is: If we drive in around 10:30am-11am, are there Light Rail Stations in the Tempe area where it would be fairly easy to find parking in order to get to the afternoon game? We won't have a lot of time to look for other lots if parking is tight or non-existent at a station.

Thanks for any advice.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 65
1. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

There is a large Light Rail parking lot and station at Apache Blvd. and the 101 Freeway on the border between Tempe and Mesa. Coming from Sedona on I-17 take the 101 East. It bends south in Scottsdale. The exit for Apache is the Rio Salado/Apache exit near the 101/202 interchange. You go north on the frontage road to Apache and turn left. The lot is on the east side of the freeway.

On a Saturday morning, there should be a lot of spaces open. There are other stops along the Light Rail going through Tempe, but most are on the ASU campus. Finding a parking place there might be tricky.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
reviews: 12
2. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

If you're driving from Sedona and don't have a lot of time, why not park at one of the hub stations in Phoenix and avoid back tracking? 19th Ave. & Bethany home is the closest station to I-17, but there is a lot of construction in that area right now. I like Central & Camelback station. I have never had any trouble getting a covered parking there. http://tinyurl.com/krpxx7t

Concord, California
Destination Expert
3. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

Thanks, and we are trying to avoid backtracking while driving but you might be talking about backtracking on the Light Rail itself. I know avoiding backtracking of either type would enable us to get to the game earlier so, good point.

It's a Thursday morning, thus a work day, and we (here in the SF Bay Area) have to jump through hoops to find BART parking almost anywhere, about that time of day --- which is why I asked. Thanks for the ideas and this is such a messy issue where we're from that we are trying to settle LR parking before we even decide on a hotel since the parking comes before check-in.

Edited: 11:13 am, February 15, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
4. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

A couple of questions are raised by your post. While I can appreciate your desire to see the D-Backs beat the Giants, I think you are cutting this entirely too close. One unforeseen delay on the way and you will miss not only opening pitch, but perhaps two or three innings of the game. I don't know what time you plan to leave Sedona, but it probably should be earlier.

The second issue is that you apparently plan to leave all your luggage in the car in an unsecured parking lot while you are gone for 4 or 5 hours. Would you do this in the Richmond or Oakland stations? Check in and then if you are staying at someplace like Mission Palms or the Marriott just walk to the light rail. Much easier and safer. Go D-Backs

Happy Trails!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 16
5. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

Don is right on that one. The game is at 12:40 and Google says it is a 1 hour 54 minute drive from Sedona to Chase Field. Stopping at a rail station, waiting for a train and then stopping once or twice a mile along the way will only add to that.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
6. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

If "Don" is ugyved, yes we are considering doing just as he mentioned. I see him over on the SF forum also so trust his opinion.

We've done this before for Spring Training ----- leaving Sedona early in the morning and making it in plenty of time to see the Giants win at Scottsdale Stadium, so I'm not really worried about that. We've driven that road several times. Just haven't taken Light Rail.

Once I do enough research on Light Rail (having trouble reading the little maps, but will try to spend more time in deciphering), we'll probably get a hotel near a station and just walk there but trying to check out all the options. Also, it's not a disaster if we miss the first inning. The last time we were there for Spring Training, I missed the last 5 innings, having gotten hit in the head and ending up in the ER. It will be better than that, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the advice.

PS: Probably leaving Sedona about 8am.

Edited: 8:59 pm, February 15, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
7. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

So YOU are the guy we see getting hit in the head at the games. A little baseball tip: put your beer down BEFORE the pitch. I remember an early season game, where between her make-up application and having to buy her a new hat, we didn't sit down until the end of the first. By then it was all over because we were playing the Cubs.

Since you have been here before, you probably know that by staying on or near Mill Ave.it is a great place to cry in your beer after the Giants loose. Other area, if only for a night would be a couple of the hotels just north of the LR stop at 44th St...but only for a night, no nightlife except what's in the hotel bars. Also consider the Holiday Inn at Central and Osborn. Easy to get to and a block to the LR. Also has some good and fun places to eat right there.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 16
8. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

> PS: Probably leaving Sedona about 8am.

Sorry, misread your post, thought you were leaving Sedona at 11. You'll have plenty of time.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
9. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

ugyved ---- With the rivalry, and it being the opening series, my guess is the game won't be over in the second inning. I think we'll make it on time though. We like to tour new (to us) ballparks before the game. will have to go check out the pool, of course.

The "hit in the head" thing was when the ladies behind us ordered beers and the beer vendor (with a full load of cold ones and ice to the top of his plastic container) swung around to leave the aisle and hit me square in the side of the head. Paramedics came and treated me in that back section of Scottsdale Stadium and I spent the last 5 innings in ER. How handy that it's right across from the Stadium. Well planned!

Thanks for the advice on hotels. I used to work in Phoenix (mostly Tempe, for Wells Fargo) but am not familiar with Light Rail. All of this helps.

Edited: 11:57 pm, February 15, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
10. Re: Light Rail Parking Capacity in Tempe?

So you didn't even get an autographed ball for getting conked on the head? Rip off!!!

Where are you sitting? If this is your first time, get there early for sure. D-Dacks generally give out some pretty good swag the first two or three games (first come, first served). Try to come in at the grand rotunda next to the main ticket office after looking at the wild what I guess you call a sculpture. Pay homage to the World Series Trophy (I always doff my cap) then to your right you will see the executive office doors. Go in to check out some cases of amazing memorabilia...seriously!

Tacos are always good park food, but the best IMHO is to be found at the two stands on the main concourse called something Hills (I think). You will find them if you follow your nose. Excellent Polish, Italian and Brats with grilled onions, peppers and sauerkraut. Real gut bombs and I think as good as the amazing dogs at AT&T.