We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Freehold, New Jersey
reviews: 29
Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

I will be traveling from New Jersey and never been to Phoenix. At the end of the Convention, I have 1 afternoon/evening, a full day, and 1 morning to explore. Planning Grand Canyon and Sedona for 1 full day. What tour company is reliable? I will be in a hotel near the airport. Any other suggestions?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 60
1. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Tours only leave Phoenix for GCNP if they have sufficient participants. Try Pink Jeep Tours and Southwest Van Tours. It will be a long day. 4 hours each way plus about 3 hours in the park, but the tour providers say 12 hours.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
2. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Sedona and the Grand Canyon National Park in a single day is indeed a long one and it's pretty much a drive by with stops for food and bathrooms and leg stretches that happen to have extraordinary views.

If you can get a hold of a rental vehicle, drive to Sedona on the first afternoon. Stay there over night, then make your way to the Grand Canyon National Park on the following day. Stay the night there, if you can. It will be a 4 hour drive back to PHX in the morning. Or, go back to Sedona for the second night, reducing the drive back to PHX by 2 hours.

Driving yourself will be much better than a long day tour.

Freehold, New Jersey
3. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Thanks for your advice! I'm trying to plan ahead of time because I will be busy all day Sun thru Wed morning.

Freehold, New Jersey
4. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Thanks for your advice! I'm trying to plan ahead of time because I will be busy all day Sun thru Wed morning.

Freehold, New Jersey
5. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Edited: 4:46 am, January 15, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 65
6. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

The Pink Jeep tour is supposedly 13 1/2 hours just to Grand Canyon and apparently does not include Sedona. Grand Canyon, one way, from Phoenix can be a 5-hour drive. That is just to get there.

With your limited time, you might want to stay in Phoenix and try to come back later for Grand Canyon and Sedona. Suggest you rent a car, though, for your time in Phoenix because public transportation is not good at all.

Here in Phoenix/Scottsdale, you could do the Desert Botanical Garden. There is currently a blown glass exhibit there. The blown glass sculptures are in the shape of desert plants and mixed in with the actual desert plants. There was a similar exhibit a couple of years ago, and it was fabulous. You do have to schedule your tour time, though, and get a reservation. The garden has a website with phone numbers.

In addition, there is the Musical Instrument Museum with exhibits of instruments from around the world. You could spend an entire day there. Scottsdale Old Town/Downtown is an area of art galleries, shops and cafes. It is compact and you can stroll around. There is also a free trolley that does a circuit of the area every 20 minutes or so. 3-hour parking is free. Other attractions are the Heard Museum and Phoenix Art Museum. Check out things to do in Phoenix and Scottsdale here on TripAdvisor.

Scottsdale, Arizona
7. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

I agree with abigguy. You simply won't have the time to go out of town. You need to understand how big things are out here. Our counties are bigger than your entire state.

If you have any interest in Native American culture, you might look at the Pueblo Grande and Heard Museums. Since you are staying near the airport, you should be able to reach both using the light rail.

Freehold, New Jersey
8. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Thank you for your advice.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 27
9. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

Linda, if you can rent a car for the whole day you have free, I would drive up to Sedona and explore on your own. My first visit to Sedona was actually with a convention group out of Phx when I lived in CA about 25 years ago, it was awesome and so beautiful. Go early in the morning and come home before dark. Look at the top things to do on their forum site. Yes, it will be a fast trip, but that's what you do when you are traveling on business, right? The drive is a little less than two hours each way. Red Rock Crossing, Chapel of the Holy Cross and Tlaqupaque for shopping and art will get you started. Have fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
10. Re: Phoenix in Mid February ~ Convention

What AZFan said. Sedona is an ideal day trip from PHX.

Edited: 9:06 pm, January 15, 2014