We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to San Diego drive

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 3
Phoenix to San Diego drive

Hello,

I am doing the AZ and CA tour this Thanksgiving and have a scheduled drive from Phoenix to SD on 24th Nov. Any interesting place to stop by ? I know the road passes through Yuma, any place to go near the border of Mexico from there, and may be take some photos of Mexico from across the border ?

-Sam

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
1. Re: Phoenix to San Diego drive

When you are driving west of Yuma, you will be in sight of the border and Hwy 2 in Mexico. Look on a map. Is there anything interesting? No. A safe stop where a Mexican town is close to I-8 is Los Algodones on the west side of the Colorado River near Yuma. It's fame is for dentists and doctors. But like all border towns, it has shops. In that area, you are only supposed to need a government-issued photo ID to cross the border and return. Walk across.

When you get to San Diego, Tijuana is improving but IMO still not a safe place to visit unless in a group.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Phoenix to San Diego drive

Driving west of El Centro you can leave I8 at mm65 and take ca94. That's a great drive and you are very close to Mexico but we didnot cross the border.

3. Re: Phoenix to San Diego drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 16, 2013