We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Phoenix

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
Public transport from Phoenix

Hi

I am planning to come to Phoenix for a week in December from Australia. We are two adults. We won't have a car. We would like to visit to Grand Canyon Railway, Verde Canyon Railroad, & out of Africa Wildlife Park. I would like to know whether any shuttle services to go to these places? I was already told that there is no public transport to Goldfield Ghost town.

If anybody can let me know that would be great. Thanks

Regards

Jan

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
1. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

First I would take GCRR off the list as there is no reasonable way for you to get there and back except for using Arizona Shuttle, and it does not provide any view of the Grand Canyon. Be aware that it is winter and will be cold there. The train however is a poor means to get to the canyon as it only gives you 3 hours at the canyon. You could use the shuttle to get to Flagstaff and GCNP but you would also need to likely spend a night there in order to schedule.

The only public transportation to Cottonwood would be a Greyhound bus, but that would not get you to the attractions. I have no idea of the availability of taxis in Cottonwood to get you to the train or the wildlife park.

The best means of getting where you want to go is to rent a car.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
2. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

Ace Shuttle can transport you from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport to Cottonwood. You would need to use a local taxi to get to VCRR and out of Africa. Not a good plan IMO. I agree with Bob, that the GCRR is a lousy idea as transport to Williams could take days, and the train is not a good way to get to the GCNP. As noted, there are no views of the Grand Canyon from the train at anny time.

Reconsider the possibility of renting a car. It will save you a lot of time and money.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 65
3. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

Public transportation here in Arizona is abysmal. You have chosen three exceptional sites to visit, but they are hard and possibly expensive to get to without a car. If possible, you should consider renting a car.

Also, we have already had one winter storm in northern Arizona - Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Sedona and Cottonwood. In December, we could get more - many more. The snow can be beautiful, but deadly. Keep your eye on the weather if you venture north out of Phoenix.

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for your advise. That is really very helpfull. First of all thanks a lot for warning me about the winter cold and storm. I didn't have any idea. When I was planning the holiday I checked warmest places in USA to visit in December, and selected Phoenix too. Of course Grand Canyon is far away from Phoenix! Silly me!. Well I'll bring plenty of warm cloths.

Again I thought the train trip to GC would be nice but after your advice it seems to me may be I'll be better off booking a tour bus with overnight stay in GC? I am not a very confident driver in new places and only have experience in left hand driving in Sydney. Bit nervous about right hand driving in USA so I'll stick to the tour buses! I guess.

One more question are there shuttle buses in GC still run during winter times?

Again thank you so much for your time and advise. I may have more questions to ask you later.

Regards

Jan

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
5. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

GCNP shuttle buses reduce their services in the winter. Another good reason to rent a car. The drive from Phoenix to GCNP is easy, although it will take 4 hours. Finding any tour from PHX that includes an overnight stay at GCNP might also be next to impossible.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

Hi

Thanks again. I have to do some more reserch. I may ask more questions later. What would be the best suggestions for 5 days at Phoenix and near by area? any suggestions for 5 days? Thanks

Regards

Jan

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 65
7. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

There are numerous opportunities for sightseeing in Phoenix. However, it is still advisable to rent a car. Public transit is very limited as a tours.

I know switching from one side to the other is daunting; I have driven on the "wrong" side in the UK. The first day or so was quite an ordeal, but I eventually got used to it. Friends from the UK have visited here, rented a pickup truck and had a glorious time of exploring Arizona.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

Hi Abigguy

Thanks for the advice. See how I go hiring a car.

Regards

Jan

9. Re: Public transport from Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 16, 2013