We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aboyne, United...
reviews: 51
Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Google Maps gives 2 possible routes. US93 304 miles 5hrs 43mins. OR I10W/US95 359 miles 6hrs 24mins.

Time is not critical so my question is "Which is the most scenic/interesting route?

Any tips on where to stop and what to see on the way would be appreciated.

Geoff

Aboyne, United...
1. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Sorry. I should have added that we plan to return via Grand Canyon and Sedona so it's the outbound journey that is the subject of my question.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
2. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

The 93 is the most direct route, as well as the more scenic. It will take you through Wickenburg, then the Joshua Tree Scenic Byway, which is on the 93.

I would take I-17 north out of Phoenix to the Carefree Highway, SR 74. Take the exit west, and go to Wickenburg. From there, catch the 95 north and it will take you all the way to Vegas. It's about 5 hours.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Agree with Boxing John. Us93 is the way to go and it app will take 5 hours. Us60 between Phx and Wickenburg is ugly so the detour via 74 is recommended. Often roadworks on 93 though.

Tempe, AZ
4. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

The road work on the 93 is mostly done, delays have been pretty minor the last few times I've driven up there although they do still exist. Most recent trip for me was in June.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
5. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Good to hear. Last time we did this drive was last november and we had to stop for roadworks several times.

Tempe, AZ
6. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

I'm making that drive again in 9 days, so I'll let you know how it's going now.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
7. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Thanks.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 479
8. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

Just so this is clear: out of Wickenburg it's 93 to Kingman and Vegas, not 95. But yes, go that way for sure.

To get from Phoenix to Wickenburg, depending on where in Phoenix I start, I either take, as suggested above I-17 north and 74 east, then a few miles 60 west.

OR I-10 west to 303 north then 60 west. I NEVER take 60 out of downtown Phoenix, as there are a gazillion red lights on these first miles through Glendale, Peoria and Sun City. 303 takes you to the very outskirts of Surprise so once you reach 60 there it's plain sailing, or rather, plain cruising.

Tempe, AZ
9. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

My apologies, yes it's the 93 out of Wickenburg.

Aboyne, United...
10. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas

My thanks to all who have responded. Much appreciated.