We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
reviews: 9
Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Five of us (2 adults in mid 30’s, 1 adult in 60’s, 2 kids of 6 years) are flying into Phoenix airport in the morning of 8/11 and flying out of Phoenix at 3 PM of 8/18. Besides the air tickets and car rental, we do not have anything else reserved. We have no intention of seeing Phoenix. One of three adults wants to stay at Las Vegas for at least a night. We want to see much as we can (Grand/Glen/Bryce Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff etc or we are flexible to change everything up based on suggestions) but we do not want to rush and can't do too much walking with two six years old. If you were in my shoes, how would you plan the trip?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
1. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

With your one week to work with I suggest that Sedona 2-3 nights, Grand Canyon NP 1-2 nights and Page 1-3 nights will make a complete trip. Pushing on to Bryce and LV will be stressful and reduce the amount of quality time that you'll have at the destinations. Going to Bryce and then LV without a couple of nights at Zion is a huge mistake. I suggest you save those places for a future trip.

www.visitsedona.com

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

www.visitpageaz.com

Explore these websites and you'll see that there is plenty to do at each destination and that you need to dedicate time for each. Racing from one place to another each day won't allow the time you need.

Securing accommodations at GCNP is a must. Do that first, then build your itinerary around it.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
2. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Frankly to go where you want to go, you will be rushed. Flying into Phoenix will add a day of travel overall as compared to flying into Las Vegas.

GCNP needs an overnight. Page needs 2 nights. Sedona really deserves 3 nights or 2 full days. Bryce and Zion each need at least an overnight. There's not really time for Page.

Perhaps 11: PHX - Sedona (2) - 13: GCNP (1) - 14: Zion (1) - 15: Bryce (1) - 16: LV (1) - 17: PHX.

I doubt that you want to do the 5 hour drive from Las Vegas to Phoenix on the day that you leave.

You really need more time. You will be driving almost every day. (edit) A better trip would be as RR advises: Sedona, GCNP and Page, in the time which you have, eliminating LV, Bryce and Zion.

Edited: 4:22 pm, June 25, 2012
Jacksonville...
3. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

RR/Bob, I am assuming that you talking about south rim of GCNP. Can you please confirm?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Yes, of course. GCNP south rim.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

888-297-2757

Don't be surprised to find all lodges sold out. But keep calling. Cancellations do happen. Look for something in Tusayan as a back up.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 62
5. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

I agree with Bob and RedRox to limit your trip to Sedona, Grand Canyon and Page. Otherwise, you will spend your entire vacation driving from one place to the next. Grand Canyon fills up fast, and you almost need to make reservations there a year in advance. If you have no luck at GC or Tusayan, try Flagstaff or Williams. The Canyon is about an hour drive from either.

Jacksonville...
6. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Thanks all. I think I am going to listen to you guys and stay out of Utah during this trip. I just got one last question. Do we necessarily have to stay at GCNP? Can we not do GCNP from either Sedona or Flagstaff?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
7. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

You can visit GCNP from Sedona or Flagstaff as a day trip. However, spending a night there will greatly enhance the experience. The park is a different world at night. Sunset and sunrise are the very best times of day at the GC. If you commute from Sedona or Flag, you'll miss all of that. Try to book at least one night there.

Jacksonville...
8. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Thanks RR. The lodging website did not have availability. So I called the number and they could not find me anything for two nights. But they were able to get me one night at Yavapai and one night at Kachina. Focusing on Sedona and Page hotels now. Any idea of decent hotels in those places that do not break the bank?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
9. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Have you looked at the hotel links from the Sedona and Page forum pages? Do that and tell us what looks appealing and why. And let us know how big your bank is.

You're planning a trip to Arizona's most popular destinations less than 2 months in advance. Don't be surprised to find the best places fully booked.

Jacksonville...
10. Re: Phoenix Grand Canyon Vegas Trip

Sedona is checked booked. In Page, I am not getting a decent hotel below $220 per night. That rate definitely will break my bank. America's Best Value Inn is cheaper but reviews are terrible