We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elmoish (areas in Scottsdale)

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 1
Elmoish (areas in Scottsdale)

Can you tell me how far east of Scottsdale Rd between Camelback and Thomas. I am going to send my husband to look around that area when he arrives next week. Thanks!

Scottsdale
1. Re: Elmoish (areas in Scottsdale)

Hi moveon...

Just start at Scottsdale Rd. and work yourself east, maybe 1/2 mile.

I just want to make it clear the types of houses these are: Older, small ranchettes. Alot of them have not been remodeled so are quite modest. This part of scottsdale is not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you are into those new, ultra sterile housing developments. But if you are good at fixing stuff up, and don't have a huge amount of money, this might be an interesting area to look in.

Some people think South Scottsdale is crummy, but I have a feeling things (even south of Thomas which I don't advise to buy) are going to start really improving. The area finally got rid of a huge 20 acre blighted, torn down shopping center. It took years, but finally now they are going to build a high tech bio-genetic deal in conjunction with ASU. Or at least I think this is what ASU is doing with the property. I think this is going to be incredible for the area.

I don't think West of Scottsdale Rd is a good investment for a variety of reasons.

I'll give you one other area...but it is VERY far north. Quite a drive unless you work in North Scottsdale or North Phx. The area is Cave Creek right behind the Cave Creek downtown area. This area is up Black Mountain and there are million $$$ houses, but there is an area that has small ranch houses. They are pretty run down and you might freak out at first....but if you guys are into fix ups I know this area is going to be worth a lot of money in the not too distant future. Not for everyone, that's for sure. But living in Cave Creek/Carefree is so wonderful. It's like being on vacation at a resort all year round...it's so beautiful. The exact location is hard to explain...if you find Lelands Jazz Club on the end of town (on Cave Creek Rd just North of Carefree Hwy) and go up the big mountain on Leland's side of the street and start driving around, I think you'll soon find the area with the little ranch houses I'm speaking of.

If you want more of an upscale area and could live in a condo (I'm guessing you don't want to spend more than $200,000...I don't know if you told me this or I'm imagining)...there is a nice area in NE Scottsdale. I'm assuming you guys are young with no kids? I shouldn't be assuming...so tell me if you are older with kids and I'll give you some other ideas. Anyway this newer, upscale area is east of Scottsdale Road on Frank Lloyd Wright. About 4 miles east of Scottsdale Road. Look for the AJ's market on Frank Lloyd Wright and you've found the general area. There are condos mixed in with single family dwellings and alot of young, professional couples live in this area. There are plenty of things to do in this area...so if you are active it might be worth looking at. It is definately not as sterile as some suburban areas. Lots of nice trees, etc. It isn't cheap though.

Let me know if you want info on any other areas. I know the area very well and have been looking for an investment property for over a year. I personally am not going to buy because I think the market is so high...plus I'm not done fixing up the house we are in. But the market could go even higher. Nobody knows and if you need a tax writeoff you should go ahead and buy.

Good luck.

Scottsdale
2. Re: Elmoish (areas in Scottsdale)

Dang...after that big old msg I found your original post about the 3 kids with your husband working at the 101 and the 17.

Maybe someone else can use the advice above, but I doubt it is for you.

The work location is great. It gives you plenty of options.

If I had 3 kids I would do exactly what you are doing, find the best school district.

3. Re: Elmoish (areas in Scottsdale)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, May 15, 2009