We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

Which Banos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
reviews: 10
Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

Looks like a small amount of ash fell in Banos... on Wed.

Chicago
1. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

There was a note in the Chicago Tribune (newspaper) travel section yesterday that said that the volcano was spewing ash and boulders and that Banos had been evacuated. Any local insights?

London, Canada
reviews: 10
2. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

Think at the moment it's a voluntary evacuation .. not sure if tourists are being allowed in or not..

Quito
reviews: 2
3. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

At the moment the reports mention that there is ash falling in Baños, however, due to safety, some of the embassies have this place on risk so please check with the international affairs desk before coming, as if something minor happens to you (fell, get sick, break a finger, tct) your travel insurance may not cover it at all.

Visitors are going to BAños, however, you may have some ash around the area, the populations has not been evacuated so all is normal there.

HOpe this helps.

Fernanda

Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 129
4. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

I am currently in Baños and all I see is normal activities in town. No one has been evacuated. Travellers are still coming.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 7
5. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

I am in Baños now and the volcano is very active but I feel completely safe.

I feel so badly for the people of Baños who rely on tourism. So many people are afraid to come here but there is no problem here. There is some ash but it is not a big concern. They have sirens and an evacuation plan for emergencies but the volcano is far from the town and there is another volcano blocking lava from flowing here.

I hope that people will come and support this lovely town. It is a huge highlight of my vacation. The best part is going out to safe vista points at night and watching the volcano erupt. It is the chance of a lifetime!

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 46
6. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

Thank you very much for the update on Banos.

I'll be spending 4 days there during new years time, and I cant wait to be there.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

It is pretty exciting here. There are loud bangs once in a while. On a very rare occasion the windows rattle. Still we are far from danger but it is amazing to be here for it. I know you will have a fabulous time.

We hiked up to Bellavista at 5:30pm the other night and arrived just before night fall. That was where we saw the best show. You will need a flash light to get back to town or you can ask the nice people who run the ice cream store to call you a cab back to the city. Their friend was heading our way and he gave us a ride. The ice cream is home made, cheap and delicious and served with organic berries. If you buy some from them, tell them Sabrina and Al say ´Hola!´

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

There is heavy ash falling and ´dirty rain´ this evening. We are just about to leave, so I cannot provide any further updates. I would suggest that you check the internet geological sites for current information. Sorry, I do not have website information with me.

The ash seems to have eased slightly but we were warned by a restauranteur that there may be an evacuation tonight. They have sirens here for that purpose. I asked a police officer for confirmation but he did not know. They are awiting for word. There is a definite police presence. I cannot advise you whether or not to come to Baños but I would wait till the ash is reduced. Many people including us are wearing masks.

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 46
9. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

Thank you shutchisca,

I keep looking at the new everyday on internet. It says that they don't think this would stop any soon.

I will keep an eye and see once we get in Quito on christmas day.

10. Re: Tungurahua emitting ash 3 km high

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, June 22, 2013