We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
reviews: 9
Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

I would like to do a 3/4 day cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas around 16-20 January 2014. I am travelling alone and would like to know if anyone is interested in sharing a cabin to bring costs down.

Rita

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
1. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Have you checked whether the ship team will just pair you up with another solo traveller ? Thats standard practice on any that I travel solo on.

Rockville Centre...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Rita, the last time I was on "Stella Australis" someone mentioned that cabins 202-204 are single occupancy. I had to send a message to the company yesterday about my next trip in December, and so I also asked about this, and what is their policy for a solo passenger willing to share. Yesterday was a national holiday in Chile, so I probably won't get a response until early next week. I'll post another message here after I hear from them.

Cambridge, United...
3. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Thank you, I have mailed 2/3 companies and one has said they will look into this but mostly they just send me an ebrochure:)

Cambridge, United...
4. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Thank you John, any info you can share would be most useful as I am planning my trip and need to book my flight BA to Ushuaia pretty soon.

Rita

Rockville Centre...
5. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Hi Rita,

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from the company. "Stella Australis" departs Ushuaia every Wednesday in January for the 3-night cruise to Punta Arenas. If those 3 cabins are indeed singles, or you or they can find someone to share a double cabin with you, I suggest you book the ship first and then the flight -- better yet, do both through the same agency. Otherwise you could get stuck with a flight and no ship to board when you get there. Boarding time is in the late afternoon, so grab a flight that arrives with plenty of time to spare. Then go to the COMAPA office in town, dump your luggage and do a little local sight-seeing in the afternoon.

More later, . . .

Cambridge, United...
6. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Thank you John. I will have approx. 6 weeks in Argentina after landing in BA on 11 January and want to make Ushuaia my first stop and then make my way back via El Calafate, El Chalten and the lakes area, so money, rather than time is my restriction. The reviews of this cruise are excellent, but, for me, the cost ia extremely high even before single supp.

Your experience is very helpful - could you perhaps recommend how many days might suit my stay in Ushuaia and PA?

Rita

Rockville Centre...
7. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Rita, keep in mind that your flight from Guatemala will land at the international airport (EZE) and the domestic flight to Ushuaia departs from Jorge Newberry airport (AEP), although there is an occasional flight out of EZE -- best to check with whoever does your booking. If you can do it, try to spend at least one night in B. A. between flights, especially if you need to transfer to the domestic airport. Another thing: when you get to Punta Arenas, will you take the ferry/bus combination to get back to Ushuaia? If you can manage, another possibility would be to fly to Santiago and then to Punta Arenas. You'll wind up in Ushuaia at the end of the cruise, and then you can do the rest of Argentina from there.

A few years ago we drove from Ushuaia to El Chalten and then El Calafate, with intermediate stops at Santa Cruz and San Julián. That's a great drive, crossing the Strait by ferry (a short ride) at Angostura Prima, etc. At El Chalten, try to do the lake cruise to Villa Cristina, with some glacier watching along the way. And Glaciar Perito Moreno too, of course.

Days in Ushuaia. 2 or 3 if you can do it. There's the Maritime Museum, el tren del fin del Mundo (touristy but fun), National Park, Beagle Channel cruise down to Harberton, flightseeeing from the private airport, and so on.

Punta Arenas: Ditto. The Salesian Museum, Municipal Cemetery (one of the top 3 in S. A.), day trips to Puerto Hambre, Fuerto Bulness And more. But try the Punta Arenas forum for more/better suggestions.

--hope to have an answer about those single (maybe) cabins in a day or so.

Cambridge, United...
8. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Thanks John. I shall be flying in from the UK, no idea why tripadviser has left me in Guatemala, haven't been there for 2 years. I am saving all you tips. Still not hearing much from the cruise companies, they just send brochures so I shall see is your enquiry is fruitful. At the moment my thoughts are to fly BA-Ushuaia, make my way to El Calafate by means to be decided and then try to fly El Calafate to Bariloche - how does that sound?

Thanks very much,

Rita

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
9. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Rita did you email Stella direct to ask ? When I emailed them a couple of months ago with a list of random questions they got back to me in less than 24 hours.

Rockville Centre...
10. Re: Cabin share from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Jan 2014

Rita,

I can't account for it, but I'd swear your earliest messages listed a Guatemala location, implying that's where you were based. But now it shows Cambridge, UK. Anyway, assuming you fly BA/USH, then take the ship to Punta Arenas (PUQ), now you need to get from there (in Chile) back to Argentina and on to El Calafate and beyond. I don't know what's available, since I've never done it that way. To me, it seems a lot simpler to fly to Santiago and then continue to PUQ; board the ship and get off in Ushuaia -- all this at the cost of one extra day on the ship, but beating the hassle of getting back to Argentina overland from PUQ.

Assuming you're on a tight budget, a B cabin is 1,771 or 2,148 (US $ for 3 or 4 nights). That's US $377 more for 1 extra night, but that includes all meals, wine and a free open bar. If you go overland from PUQ back to Argentina, you'll need to pay transportation, meals, maybe a hotel room. So I suspect the cost is about the same, maybe even a bit more for the overland option.

Sorry for the delay in getting info about those 3 cabins that may be singles. I'll nudge the folks in Chile one more time for a response.