We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
reviews: 9
Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

We shall be in this area around mid Feb 2013. Just wonder how feasible it is to drive between Ushuaia and Punta Arenas in a rental car. Can someone throw some lights on this? Many thanks!

Ushuaia, Argentina
reviews: 61
1. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Yes, you can drive either way.

From P. Arenas, in 2 - 2 and half hours you can get to Punta Delgada where you'll take the samll ferry across the Magellan Strait (20 minutes) and then you have 50 km more on tarmac, up to a village called Cerro Sombrero. From there you have 100 km off-tarmac, before arriving at the Chilean border in San Sebastian which is open 24 hs.

After 10 km you'll see the Argentinian border and after that is tarmac all the way down to Ushuaia.

Normally, the journey needs 8-10 hours in a car, with an average speed of 70 km per hour...

If you need more infos just let me know...

Gaetano

Hong Kong
2. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Thank you so very much, Gaetano. This is very helpful info indeed. We are also hoping to drive to Cape Horn, or as close as the road can take us. Is this do-able and/or recommendable? We have looked at the options of taking a cruise (Stella Australis or Via Australis) that goes around Cape Horn between P. Arenas and Ushuaia but unfortunately the boat schedule doesn't work for us. Driving seems to be the only option.

Any advice that you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Ushuaia, Argentina
3. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

No problems : )

As far as I know you can't drive to Cape Horn, the only option is with the sailing tours that you've mentioned.

Anyway you can find a small boat that can take you over there, but at the moment there's no organized tours like that, but I can find out for you, as I'm living in Ushuaia right now...

Cheers

Ushuaia, Argentina
4. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Sorry, I just had a look at departures of Via and Stella Australis and there a lot of dates in February; are you sure you won't be able to get one of those ? You could sail from P. Arenas to Ushuaia, instead of driving...

Hong Kong
5. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

You are absolutley correct, Gaetano. There is a number of departures in Feb. Our problem is that we shall finish our trip to Antarctica at P. Arenas. We only have a week in this area before departing from P. Arenas to Santiago. That is, we need to make a round trip back to P.Arenas in a week which makes our schedule quite restrictive. Based on the helpful info from you above, we can now revisit our options again. It looks like we can first drive from P.Arenas to Ushuaia (assuming we can leave our rental car in Ushuaia) and then take the Stella Australis back to P.Arenas. We maybe just able to make it :)

Thank you so very much!!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
6. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Hi Gaetano, We will also be driving along that route in early 2013 and found this thread of interest. Are there any problems, additional costs (insurance for example) when you cross the Chile-Argentina border with a rental vehicle?

brian42

Ushuaia, Argentina
7. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Hola Brian,

when you rent the car you must tell the agent that you're going to cross the borders several times so he's gonna give you, I think, a kind of permit or something like that, but is not gonna be a problem at all because I know people who have been doing that...

gaetano

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
8. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

Note that aside from the notarised permission from the rental company that the Chilean authorities require you to have to take a vehicle you do not own out of Chile, there have been recent reports (early December) that Argentina is now also requiring a notarised document to enter Argentina. This is on top of the obligatory insurance you will need to enter Argentina. Make sure your rental company has all the information and can get you all the documents required so you are not turned back at the border.

The Chilean notarised permission takes a few days to get, so let the rental company know in advance that you want a cross border rental.

Hong Kong
9. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

dacingmolly & gaetano,

Thank you so very much for the good advices. I will otherwise overlook the need to inform Avis (my rental company) on the border crossing!!

brian42,

We are on a AXXI tour to Antarctica on Feb 16-24. We will then spend the following week in Punta Arenas/Ushuaia. Will you be going there before us? If yes, we will appreciate any experience you can kindly share.

Cheers...chc9533

Ushuaia
reviews: 24
10. Re: Can we drive from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, or vice versa?

You cannot drive close to Cape Horn with a car and less from Punta Arenas. Have a look at a map. If you go to Antartica the ship will pass quite close. Anyway Cape Horn just some barren rocks in the middle of the sea