We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great local guide in Ushuaia

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 8
great local guide in Ushuaia

We took the Valparaiso to Rio Holland America cruise in February 2012. In Ushuaia, Argentina, four of us took an independent tour instead of the ship-sponsored excursion. Good fortune was with us and we found a guide at the dock who was terrific. He spoke English and that was a real plus. Perhaps only about 30% of the independent guides do so. He showed us several extra nooks in the city that the larger tours exclude. He told us a lot about himself and typical life in Ushuaia. It was a Friday evening, and traffic was heavy, and his tour ran longer than he had predicted, but he didn't increase his fee. And that fee was well under what the ship-sponsored excursion cost. By the time we said good-bye we had had a good trip around this southernmost city on the planet and were carrying away happy memories. Our guide's name was Mario Miraglia. He said he books a significant part of his tours from referrals. That tells you right there that he is a gem. He can be reached at mariomiraglia@hotmail.com. You won't go wrong with Mario!

15 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

I used transporte trasandino, a team of tour guides who did an excellent job taking us to the national park, lakes, and to visit the Le Martial Glaciar.

I found thesee were very good maner people and their english language level was very high.

Highly recommended

The e-mail of this group is transportetrasandino@gmail.com

Australia
reviews: 58
2. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

Mario Miraglia ( mariomiraglia@hotmail.com ) gave us an excellent morning tour of Ushuaia and the Tierra del Fuego National Park in February 2012 in his comfortable taxi. He charged $US140 for his car which could accommodate four passengers. Much better value than the cruise ship bus tours.

Mario was very adept at getting to the scenic spots and short walking trails ahead of the main cavalcade of tourist buses so we often had these glorious places entirely to ourselves. He was happy to extend the tour to suit our special requests and delivered us to a delightful restaurant serving magnificent king crab for lunch.

Best of all he told us, not just about the national park and Ushuaia, but about life, earning a living and raising a family in Argentina, specifically in this interesting little city at the end of the world. He answered the many questions we had about Argentine life after our week in the country.

As well as his taxi Mario also has a van which accommodates larger groups. He is available for transfers from the airport to the ski resorts in winter.

London, United...
reviews: 149
3. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

Based on this thread, we booked Mario Miraglia for a half day tour in November 2012, and I would concur with the above posters that he was an excellent guide. We used him for an afternoon tour of Tierra del Fuego after doing the Pira Penguin Tour that morning.

I was a bit apprenhensive at first about using an independent guide based on just two positive reviews (not something I would normally do!), but these fears were soon put to rest and we had a great time with Mario. I also loved hearing about his life in general, and in particular how things were during Argentina's crisis in 2001. Fascinating stuff!

The price he quoted (US$150 for a group of up to 4 people) was less than half the price quoted by one of the leading tour companies in Ushuaia.

He apparently is quite popular these days, I believe he is more well established on the Cruise Critics forum, as many of his clients are cruise ship passengers just in town for a day.

Boca Raton, Florida
reviews: 8
4. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

We had a wonderful day tour with Mario Miraglia in March, 2013. He was waiting for us when we arrived on our cruise ship into Ushuaia. We visited birth the National Park, Hidden Lake and Lake Lagnano. We stopped at the "fin du Monde" train station and at various points around the city. His cost was $300.00 for 4 of us and that was for doing the whole day tour. We stopped at a dog sled park which had a wonderful restaurant where we enjoyed a quickie lunch and a taste of a "special brew" Mario was an engaging young man who was able to,share his city with us. We recommend him highly. You will not be disappointed.

UK
reviews: 28
5. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

Based on TA recommendations I booked Mario for a day tour for 4 people off a cruise ship a few weeks ago, but Mario didn't turn.

He sent another driver who had a totally inferior car to the Chevrolet Meriva which Mario had promised, it was much smaller with accident damage and was covered with mud.

In fairness to the driver of that car, when we expressed our dissatisfaction, he arranged for another driver with the correct car; but once on our way we discovered that the driver spoke absolutely no English at all.

When we asked them to call Mario they said he was out of range. Very frustrating.

I certainly won't be recommending booking with Mario, seems to me you just don't know what you're going to get.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 133
6. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

Good to get different reviews and I suspect this guide was asking people to post good reviews when they returned to get more business.

Australia
reviews: 58
7. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

I was not asked to post a review. Our experience with Mario in 2012 was excellent, and exceeded our expectations.

London, United...
reviews: 149
8. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

I too can confirm that my review was completely genuine. There was never any request from Mario to post a review of him.

South West Scotland
reviews: 19
9. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

I can recommend Lucas Julian Ramos for a local guide. Used his services for a small group day tour in March, perfect English and very knowledgable of the area although he is in fact a native of Buenos Aires.

His email is LjRamos50@hotmail.com. and I believe he is also on twitter and/or Facebook.

CA
reviews: 2
10. Re: great local guide in Ushuaia

For my 2 cents, it's always possible for service to slip once a guide gets too much business from gd reviews and starts subcontracting work out. From personal experience we never know who really shows up to guide us since there's only 2 of us, and so less tips regardless of tour price.

Edited: 3:57 pm, June 02, 2013
Reply to: great local guide in Ushuaia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted