We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental or not?

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centurion, South...
reviews: 1
Car rental or not?

Hi, we'll be travelling to Bariloche on 18th August and our daughters will join us a week later for two weeks. I am used to renting a vehicle wherever we travel and being independent as far as transport goes. After reading some of the posts here I am having second thoughts. My questions thus:

1. Can we get around sufficiently with public transport in and around Bariloche, including trips outside of Bariloche, providing we stay quite central and close to town.

2. If we decide to stay further out of town is there a reliable taxi service servicing these outlying areas and how does the cost compare to car rental (average car rental around U$100 a day).

It seems there are quite a bit to see around Bariloche and don't want to miss out because of transport, but at the same time need to consider the reliability of these vehicles and the fact that I will have my wife and two teenage daughters to consider should it break down..

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 44
1. Re: Car rental or not?

My husband and I, along with two friends, drove all over the Bariloche area in a rental car - with no difficulties.

While it is true that the cars are older than those we are used to (in USA rentals) it was in pretty fine shape and we had no problems - that has been the experience of other friends and travelers we know, as well.

I really think having a car in that area will enhance your trip: it is just not conducive to public transport in the way that a city would be. Maybe read some Trip Reports on Bariloche and you will likely feel less concerned about driving or renting a car there.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely time - and that you will post your experiences here.

Vail, Colorado
reviews: 11
2. Re: Car rental or not?

We rented a car for our trip to the area. If you want to see some of the outlying scenic drives (e.g. Route of the 7 Lakes), it is a good option. Other drivers are macho and have to pass all the time, but just let them.

1. Carry passport or a copy; there are a lot of police checkpoints. None gave us hassle, but they apparently like to keep an eye on things.

2. Do NOT leave any valuables in the car. Not even in the trunk. Not even in broad daylight.

3. Re: Car rental or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos de Bariloche