We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brigherr
reviews: 3
Car rental

Can anybody please recommend a reliable car rental agency in Bariloche?

We had 2 very bad experiences in 2008 and 2009 with local companies but were lucky in 2010 with Thrifty. They had an Amex special then and the car was flawless, with good tires.

Except, they seem to have tripled their price .

I find $US 3000 expensive for 42 days starting coming Febr. 20.

18 replies to this topic
Bellevue, Washington
reviews: 46
1. Re: Car rental

I'll watch this thread with great interest, I've been looking for a good rental in Bariloche for years. Actually, I think US$72/day is very competitive if it's a decent car and that includes all fees and insurance.

I'm in Patagonia now, this is my 5th trip. The rental car thing has always been difficult - expensive and you get very bad vehicles with very bad tires.

On this trip I rented from A10 Rent a Car for US$104/day. That was the best rated I could find. It's been a TOTAL DISASTER. This is the worst rental car I've ever had anywhere in the world. The car is falling apart, sounds like the front shocks are about to die and I've had TWO flat tires in it. On the second trip to the tire shop here in San Martin the very nice guy said the tire was no longer repairable. So I bought a used tire. The tire was cheap, loosing 2 days of fishing down here dealing with the problems has been the worst part. God knows if the rental company will give me credit for the tire.

On my last trip to SA I rented a pickup truck in Santiago Chile and drove it all around Patagonia. Crossing the border without any Spanish was a challenge, but I got a much better value for a rental car. No flat tires, no problems.

AVOID A10 in Bariloche!

Crail, Scotland...
2. Re: Car rental

Watching also, my partner and I are heading down from Buenos Aires on Friday, we are from Scotland, have my dry fly gear but no car. looking around at moment but would be interested to Hear from xtrmtrk about lodgings and or any insight into Patagonia fishing with spare tires ! maybe we can share a cast together, have fun on your vacation.

Regards

Graham and Edna ( Scotland )

nyc
3. Re: Car rental

This past November I had a very good experience with LAGOS CAR RENTAL in Bariloche. I required an automatic car and reserved one a few months in advance. They didn't require a credit card to secure the reservation, only to reconfirm it 3 weeks before the rental. I was pleasantly suprised to received a Chevy Aveo with only 40000 km in excellent condition. Had no problem upon returning the car -- they made a short inspection and released my security.

The rate was 2200 pesos for the week, and when I paid in cash (pesos) they gave a 10% discount, so it came out to 2000 pesos. I was allowed 1250 km for the week - we went from Bariloche to Junin dce los Andes and into Lanin Park, then back down to El Bolson, thru Tronador, and back to Bariloche and didn't even do 1100 km, so there was no extra charge. An extra driver is free.

Highly recommended.

Bellevue, Washington
reviews: 46
4. Re: Car rental

Hi Edna - I sent you a private message.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Car rental

We are starting from BA in early Feb, booked a car with Baires Rent A Car ( http://www.bairesrentacar.com/), wonder if anyone used them before.

We'll be doing a 7-week trip around Argentina. Sharing any experience with Baires Rental would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers

brigherr
6. Re: Car rental

A great many Thanks for your story and rental ca company advice.

We had a 1 day fishing adventure down the Manso River with a guide, quite expensive, no Luck , though, fish we cought was tooo small to talk about or photoshoot.

Good Luck, too bad you don' manage some Spanish, it helps in dire situations as we had, returning a jumping car on our first trip to Bariloche, and waisting again 3 days with a car that had totally used tires, not jumping but skating on the road.

thrifty had excellent service on our 3rd trip, but we reserved 7 month ahead and got an Amex discount special.

Still looking for a reliable car rental agency for 42 days.

Good Luck to you and have Fun!

Brigitte

brigherr
7. Re: Car rental

Thank you for sharing your experience .

Greatly appreciate your response.

Will contact this company.

Wishing you great travels in the future!

Brigitte

London, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Car rental

I just want to emphasize what xtrmtrk said:

AVOID A10 RENT A CAR in Bariloche!

We rented car with them because we had a last minute change of plans and they were the only ones (of the 10 we contacted) with availability.

The car wasn't the newest (i.e. it was a wreck), but we had little choice. After half an hour on our way to Esquel, the car started to show problems which became worse and worse and we were barely able to reach El Bolson (it constantly lost power and would go uphill anymore!).

In El Bolson we called A10. They said the would come and I assumed/hoped that they would come with a replacement car. But after 3 hours waiting it turned out that they were unwilling to provide us with a new car and wanted to tow the car to Bariloche in the evening to check if we did not fill it up with the wrong fuel...... They tow truck driver was even aggressive when I pointed out that we needed to go further to proceed with our trip.

It all ended in the tow truck driver leaving angry, my wife and I in the taxi back to Bariloche (at night) and the car in El Bolson. I informed the company about what happened and left the car keys at the reception of our hotel because we had to reschedule everything and take early flights the next day... It suffices to say that this totally ruined our plans.

The guy from A10, Pablo, told us (angry) that he no had to go to pick up the car (we are really sorry...) and that he would check what happened.

The next day I see on my credit card statement that the full amount is booked (over 600 Pounds). Of course I call the Pablo guy about this and he pretends nt to understand what I question regarding that, but does manage to squeeze out that he picked up the car and that the car did not have any problems (OMG).

Again: AVOID A10 in Bariloche!

RJ

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Car rental

Sí, evitar A10 alquiler de autos! Coches y servicio horribles. Ellos robar su dinero. A10 renting cars are local Bariloche criminales!

10. Re: Car rental

Hello, Open Rent A Car is a local bussiness, but with 30 years in Bariloche.

I recomend this place , people is nice and the cars are in very good shape.

Hope this is helpfull to you.

Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos de Bariloche