We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which way from Bariloche?

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 216
which way from Bariloche?

We are in Bariloche (after 6 weeks in Patagonia), trying to decide should we do San Martin de Los Andes (with NP Lanin) and then Pucon in Chile and up to Santiago OR take public bus from Bariloche to Puerto Varas in Chile and then Valdivia, Pucon and Santiago??

thanks

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
1. Re: which way from Bariloche?

Hey there Teamflames,

I don't know about the rest, but we loved San Martin de los Andes. We also drove through Junin de los Andes and were delighted to happen into a Gaucho and religious festival that was incredible.

I look forward to hearing your descriptions of you time in this area. Enjoy yourselves.

~Marnie

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 216
2. Re: which way from Bariloche?

Hey Marnie,

great to hear from you. Appreciate your thoughts - we are leaning towards this direction. I did write some thoughts on my southern patagonia experience and will write another one for the Lakes District later. Its all absolutely gorgeous but as with anything there comes a point of over exposure and I think its time to experience other climates/cultures - please write to me if you have some recommendations for towns/areas in northern Ar/Chile.

regards

James

Córdoba
reviews: 1
3. Re: which way from Bariloche?

I would also tend to recommend SM de los Andes, but with a rental car. Go via Villa La Angostura (stay there 1 night), make the side trip to Villa Traful and go up North to SM de los Andes. Really worth the visit. Check on the road conditions, at the end of last year there was still problems with ash clouds.....

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 51
4. Re: which way from Bariloche?

Hello James,

I would not skip San Martín de los Andes nor Villa la Angostura.

I can't comment on the chilean side of the lake district area, since I hardly know it (you could post on the Chile forum for advice).

Once you start heading North, you must visit the Salta area in Argentina and I think you might also enjoy a couple of days in San Pedro de Atacama (Chile).

Here is an interesting thread on the NW area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312822-i7638-k468…

Looking forward to more wonderful reports!

CHARLOTTE
reviews: 78
5. Re: which way from Bariloche?

By all means, if you have spent so much time in Patagonia, you should go directly to northern Argentina, i.e., Salta, Cachi, Pumamarca, Tilicara since it gives a completely different view of Argentina. You will also not have much rain up in that part of the country.

6. Re: which way from Bariloche?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:49 am, March 26, 2012
7. Re: which way from Bariloche?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, June 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos de Bariloche