We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I biting off too much?

Which San Carlos de Bariloche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, California
Am I biting off too much?

I'm traveling solo to AR in March/April 2010.

As of now, I've got 3 nights in BA, 6 nights in the Lake District, 2 back in BA (to change bags), 2 in Iguazu, 2 more back in BA and then home. I like the way its mixed, so I can get to a full moon falls walk, and still get to El Bolson for the feria.

My question is whether I'm leaving enough time for the Lake District. As of now, here's my plan:

Day 1- arrive noon and drive to the Rio Hermoso Hotel just south of San Martin de los Andes.

Day 2 - Lagos Lazar and Traful and then back to the Rio Hermoso.

Day 3 - drive through the lakes, down through Bariloche to the Llao Llao.

Day 4 - drive to El Bolson for the day and return. Lunch at Jauja.

Day 5 - take a boat to Isla Victoria and the Bosque Arrayanes.

Day 6 - drive south again and go to both the Ventisquero Negro (Pampa Linda lunch) and the Cascada de los Cesares. PM in Bariloche.

Day 7 - fly back to BA.

Am I spending too much time north of Bariloche? Should I trade some of that time for, say, taking a night at the Correntso and biking to the Bosque instead? Will I end up regretting not spending more time in El Bolson? And it seems a waste to spend 4 nights at the Llao Llao and not really spend any time on the premises.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

San Carlos de...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Am I biting off too much?

El Bolson is about 1.5 hours from Bariloche, it is a nice day excursion.

You can also drive to SMDLA and back in one long day from Bariloche.

You should plan your drive to Cerro Tronador based on weather.

If you are OK with off trail riding, the bike ride to the Arrayanes forest is amazing. You can also do that from Bariloche, it is about 1.5 hours to the trailhead.

So, in short, it might make more sense to stay longer in Bariloche and using it as your home base for your excursiones.

Suerte!

Miami, Florida
reviews: 5
2. Re: Am I biting off too much?

I'm a big fan of El Bolson.. and the area south of El Bolson -- the Parque de los Alerces is absolutely beautiful!

The feria itself is lovely and full of handicrafts -- but, the real beauty of El Bolson is outside of the little town -- not within it (except to say that the people who live there are absolutely wonderful). There are all sorts of treasure spots around the town -- from the tiny, but very friendly, Museo de las Piedras Patagonias (the Patagonian rock and mineral museum) to the odd sculpture garden at the top of cerro piltriquitron.

BTW -- my profile pic was taken in El Bolson...

3. Re: Am I biting off too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos de Bariloche