We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

Which Puerto Madryn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

We will be on a cruise and stopping at Puerto Madryn from 7:00-4:00. I am a real animal lover and the trip around the Penninsula seems great on the ship excersion, but is $200/pp. I'm sure we can do the same places with local companies, and have tried to send out e-mail to some local tour companies, but haven't gotten a response. If you have stopped there on a cruise ship, are their tour guides at the dock offering trips, and do you know the costs? I don't want to lose out on going if I don't sign up with the ship. Also, do you have any suggestions for local tours on other Ports...we will be traveling from Santiago, Chile around the cape and back up to Buenos Aires on an NCL Cruise.

Thanks for any suggestions!

La Paz
reviews: 6
1. Re: Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

Hopefully this response is not too late. I am planning a trip to Puerto Madryn as well, and have gotten helpful replies on various questions from local tour companies Nievemar Tours (nievemar@nievemartours.com.ar) and Flamenco Tour (gerencia@flamencotour.com.ar), which I learned about on this site.

Toronto
2. Re: Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

We are also cruising NCL Sun in March and needed the same info. I found this site ---

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/index_i.html

It should open to the English page. I don't know who these people are but if you work through here ---

welcomeargentina.com/puertomadryn/travelagen…

I emailed each of these contacts. After six days I have

recieved 15 responses. With six, I am pursuing further details as to discounts for groups. We are members of Cruise Critic and different members are dealing with different ports. Some in English some Spanish. If Spanish paste to Google's translate. It really works well. I have found NCL is double or even triple the going rate. PGA

Toronto
reviews: 10
3. Re: Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

I wonder if we will be on the same cruise. Ours leaves Valparaiso on March 15. I have so far booked two onshore excursions in Puerto Montt and Puerto Chacabuco. My friend who is of Welsch and Scottish ancestry has booked a tour in Puerto Madryn because she does not want to miss the trip to Gaiman. I haven't decided on anything yet. I heard that 3 people can sahre a cab to the glacier in Ushaia. And the catamaran tour is only $434/person. Also that Gypsy Cove in Stanley is walkable.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
reviews: 7
4. Re: Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

Hi, California!

If you're stopping at Puerto Madryn, or somewhere else on the Chubut coast, there is no grander attraction in all Argentina than the penguins at Punta Tombo!

The Punta Tombo Magellanic penguins are located two hours south of Puerto Madryn. Most, but not all, of the road from the main highway, Route 3, in to Punta Tombo was paved in 2008, leaving only about 21 km of gravel road at the end.

If you've ever gone to see the penguins in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa, well, let me just say that these do not even begin to equal the sight that awaits you at Punta Tombo!

It's a two mile walk from the parking lot on a well-groomed trail. All along the way, and as far as the eye can see, you'll find penguins, thousands of them, all over the campo. They're not afraid of people, although sometimes they don't like being photographed. You're not supposed to touch them, but there are so many penguins and they don't seem to mind!

At the cliff overlooking the beach, prepare yourself for hundred upon hundreds more, densely packed along the water's edge, some standing, some swimming, some coming in or going out. And unbelievably, these birds will walk for miles inland!

Penguins are a seasonal attraction. We saw the sight in February, when the chicks were finally losing their baby feathers and before they set out to sea for the autumn. According to the Punta Tombo brochure, the males arrive in early September. Females come in October. (The brochure does not say when the season ends.) If you come only after they've left, then naturally all you'll see is empty plains and a deserted beach.

We picked Punta Tombo over the seals and sea lions of the Valdez Peninsula, and I'm glad we did. I have no idea about tours and buses, since we traveled in our own rental car, but I'll tell you that the penguins of Punta Tombo stand out as our most memorable stop in all of Argentina.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

5. Re: Day excersion to Penninsula Valdez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 17, 2009