We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Salta and surround areas

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 100
Advice on Salta and surround areas

We arrive in Salta late on 2nd December and leave Calama on moprnign of 10th December - can anyone suggest the best way to see the area bearing in mind we also want to take a bus to the Atacama desert on our way to Calama?

Córdoba
reviews: 1
1. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

I would suggest:

3rd of Dec > Salta city

4th of Dec > rent a car, drive to Cafayate over the 168

5th of Dec > Cachi (via ruta 40)

7th of Dec > return to Salta, return car, maybe sleep over in San Lorenzo near to Salta

8th of Dec > bus to Atacama (full day of bus)

This is an itinerary which is often done, also in combination with Jujuy, but you will probably not have much time for that.

Enjoy!

Jan

netherlands
reviews: 3
2. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

Agree with the itinerary. Very beautiful and interesting.

For a nice B&B in san Lorenzo, see: …virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/176f75/3/20781c/

happy travels

Jaap

London
3. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I booked the flights before realising how much there was to see - now wish we had allocated more time to be spent in the area!

Another question all the guides seem to mention Humachuaca and Purmanarca. This is the first time I have had mention of Cachi (which looks gorgeous) from your suggestion do you recommend staying a night there? I want to book my accomodation in Salta and wasnt sure whether to do day trips or stay at each town we were visiting. Also my husband wasnt keen on hiring a car, do you think that without a car it would be impossible to see as much? Would you advise against organised tours?

Many thanks for your suggestions

Argentina
reviews: 23
4. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

Personally. I would better take two days to see Cafayate, and would definitelly skip Cachi, and would also take two days for Purmamarca and Humahuaca Gorge. It is a must. I would also include the salt flats and enjoy them almost at the sunset... I have been thousand of times and 7 p.m. is my favorite time for pictures and the sun is not that strong.

Have a great time in the NW°!

Angie/Giena

netherlands
reviews: 3
5. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

If travelling by bus to the Atacama desert on your way to Calama, personally I wouldn't change the itinerary.

Organised tours or not: it is what you prefer. Till yet we never did an organised tour and love the freedom we have on our way. We rented a car for our trip around Salta and Jujuy and it was fantastic !!

Jaap

London
6. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

We have now changed our flight from Calama to 12th December which means we have a little more time. I will persuade my husband to hire a car

this means we have 5 whole days, plus a day in Salta. We could take the bus to Atacama from Jujay by the looks of things so might this help us in adding another destination? Can one hire in Salta and drop off in Juyuy?

regards

Salta, Argentina
reviews: 4
7. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

Dear if you have 5 days I would spend 2 days in the north,

Salta Purmamarca Salinas Grandes Tilcara Humahuaca Salta, 3 in the south Salta Cachi Cafayate Amaicha Cafayate Salta, return the rented car, see Salta City and leave for Atacama by bus.

To return the car in Purmamarca there is an extra cost of 700 Arg Pesos or maybe a bit more.

Warm regards.

David

Edited: 9:30 am, November 09, 2011
London
8. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

thank you

9. Re: Advice on Salta and surround areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 10, 2012