We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 6
Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

Hi,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Northwest Argentina in late march 2011.

We are flying from Mendoza to Salta and spending the first 2 nights in Salta town.We are also going to spend the last of our 7 nights back in Salta before flying back to BA.

The other 4 nights we are planning to hire a car and we need help planning an itinerary for places to see outside of Salta. Any advice for anything from car hire in Salta to accommodation and eating options on out little road trip would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Argentina
reviews: 26
1. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

I would suggest...

Day 1: Arrival and recognition of the city

Day2: Sightseeing....MAAM museum, Churches, Cathedral...

Day3: Salta - Cafayate visitng wineries... dinner at EL TERRUNO, stay at KILLA HOTEL...

Day 4: Cafayate - Salta

Day 5: Salta - Purmamarca - Lunch at Don faustino in Purmamarca - Check in at LA COMARCA HOTEL - driving to Salinas Grandes in the afternoon (3 hours requires to go and come back...)

Day 6: walking around Purmamarca breakfast.... driving to Uquia - Humahuaca - Tilcara for luch at YACON on Rivadavia St #222...visit to the Indian Ruins and Archaeological Museum and driving back to SALTA.

This itinerary is feasible with no rush but also needs you have a *fluent driving... which is usually not so easy when you do not know the place.

Take the places I mentioned as a suggestion as theya re the places of my preference for my customers.

Enjoy and have a great time.

Giena /Angie

Argentina
2. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

I just see I have another Private message I can not responde because the communication member to member has been disabled by TA Staff. If anyone want s to contact will (for sure) find me.

I feel my time here is not appreciated. neither my expertise and my dedication.

Angie / Giena

Edited: 10:25 am, September 07, 2010
Buenos Aires...
reviews: 82
3. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

I cant say enough good things about Giena... we went up to the NorthWest for 10 days in August and Giena's assistance was outstanding... the trip would not have been the same without her golden touch.

Please contact me via PM and I can forward you how to get in touch with her.

San Francisco
reviews: 2
4. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

Hi Reposado,

Just wanted to chime-in in response to your original question on car hire. We rented from Alamo in Salta and found them to be extremely professional - they spoke very good english, were friendly and convenient and provided us with a great car at a good price (much, much cheaper than hiring a guide/driver). Only watch-out with them is that if you need to pick-up or drop-off on a weekend they only have 1 person working that has to cover both the downtown and airport location, so make sure you confirm the time with them or you may have to wait while they go from one place to the other. Should be fine during the week.

We loved exploring the area on our own and found the driving to be very easy - there are some mountain passes that wind around a bit, bit, but we didn't have any trouble. Also, most everything is on/near the main roads, so you don't have to worry about getting lost.

Enjoy your trip!

Ryan

Salta, Argentina
reviews: 4
5. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

Dear I agree with Giena about the itinerary, you can drive yourself but is more tiring , just take care …

To rent a car I can recommend Europcar in the first block of Cordoba Street, good cars and prices.

March is a very good time to visit Salta, not crowded and still green everywhere.

Enjoy your travel!

David

Brisbane
reviews: 6
6. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

Thank you everyione that for your advice. We have not had time yet to research was has been posted for us, but will do so this weekend.

Salta
reviews: 5
7. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

For my people with 4 days I recommend Salta to Cafayate then a side trip to Quilmes. Dont miss the drive to Cachi from CAfayate - The Arrow Gorge is not like anything else in the world and the pueblos along the route are unspoiled - no imported 'artefacts' from Guatemala lining the square and pan pipe music playing. From CAchi you can get to Purmamarca in a day.

Hope that is helpful

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 46
8. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

We're planning to arrive in Salta on Jan 26 2011 for a week's stay in the area. Can you recommend places to visit and length of time for each place? Could you help us plan an itinerary and places to stay on the route? What do you charge for a guided tour.

Thanks

Sandy (from Chicago)

Argentina
9. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

I suggest at les four days.... AT LEAST!

Salta - Cachi

Cachi- Cafayate

Cafaate - Salta

Salta - Purmamarca- Salt Flats...

Purmamarca - Humahuaca - Tilcara - Salta is an ideal 5day itinerary, if you have four only, skip Cachi, Or if you want five daysbut more relaxrd, add one day in Cafayate.

Have a great time.

Giena/Angie

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 47
10. Re: Help wanted! 7 nights in the Northwest late march 2011

As usual, Angie, David and Tracy have come through with excellent suggestions. These itineraries are wonderful !

We had a guide for the trip Salta-Purmamarca-Salt Flats-Humahuaca etc., and then rented from Eurocar (excellent !) and drove Salta-Cafayatte and environs. [Total = 6 days, 5 nights]

The combination suited us; we avoided driving the sinewy mountain roads North, and then enjoyed driving ourselves at a leisurely, more private pace to Cafayate.

Angie, in particular, provided excellent advice on this Forum and on Fodors.

Enjoy the NOA.

~MarnieWDC

Edited: 10:30 am, September 13, 2010