We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

Which Puerto Iguazu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
reviews: 1
Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

Can you actually get a Brazilian visa in Iguazu? There seems to be an embassy listing but I'm not sure if it still exists. We're staying in Iguazu for three nights then hoping to head into Brazil for a couple of weeks - so this isn't about the one day thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

punta del este...
1. Re: Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

peter:

The Brazilian visa is available only from the accredited consulate for your permanent residence. In the case of Perth, Western Australia, you'd have to deal with the Brazilian Embassy in Canberra ACT, and NOT the Consul General in Sydney. Check www.brazil.org.au under the visas section. It takes a minimum of 10 days for the tourist visa.

Perth
reviews: 1
2. Re: Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

Ha! Yes, that's a funny story. We've currently had our visa request being processed by the Brazilian consulate in Canberra - it was sent over two weeks ago. We leave for South America on Wednesday (today is Monday) and we have no passports and no visas. They said they sent the passports back on Friday (without the Visa I believe - because they hadn't finished processing) but they haven't left (I can track the express bag on-line) and today is a Brazilian holiday! So no embassy. My wife is flying to Canberra to be on their doorstep tomorrow to see if we can extract the passports - desperation time. This has not been a fun exercise - thus the request to see if we can get visas in Iguazu...

Thanks for your help anyway.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
3. Re: Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

I believe the simple answer is yes, foreigners can obtain a visa in Iguazu.

A couple of caveats:

I am not 100% certain about Aussies, being a USAian.

I am not 100% certain the Braziaan office still exists in Iguazu...it did two years ago....

In any case, if all else fails...you can probably go to Brazil for the day without a visa since border checks are lax most of the time. I do not necessarily recommend it, but I have been over to Brazil three or four times without a visa in the company of a local cabbie.

4. Re: Can you get Brazilian visa in Iguazu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 07, 2010