We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

Which Puerto Iguazu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton
reviews: 4
Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

I am planning to stay in Puerto Iguazu for a 3 nights. I am intending to take a 6.00am flight from Foz de Iguacu to Rio. Please could you let me know

a) is the border crossing open 24 hrs

b) how long should I allow for the trip

c) how much time should I allow for immigration formailities (I'm a UK passport holder)

d) Is there any time difference between Puerto Iguazu and Foz on 10th November

e) As I will have already travelled to Brazil to view the falls ealier in my stay, will this cause any complications at the border

Any advice welcome

The Hague, The...
reviews: 100
1. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

Border open all night (of course). It should go quite smoothly. I crossed the border by taxi a few times and all was quite fast but they check passports carefully, twice, first at Argentinian check point and then the Brazilian, about 500 meters further. I don't see what complications there could be. No time difference there.

For a 6 AM flight I'd leave from hotel in Puerto Iguazu, if you have arranged a taxi, between 3.30 and 3.45. Better too early at airport than too late.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
reviews: 7
2. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

Hi Northampton!

If I were you, I'd spend my final night in Brazil, at one of the many hotels on Cataratas Avenue, between Foz do Iguaçu and the Brazilian Falls. The airport is close to the Brazilian falls.

With a 6 a.m. flight, I'd never just count on getting across the border without snags. Chances are you'll make it without any trouble, but why not do all that the day before, when you have the luxury of time, so that you'll be able to square away any snags before you're racing to the airport.

You've already anticipated one possible snag. Brazil goes to Daylight Saving Time in October (or at least that's what happened in 2008). In '08, Argentina did too, but in Argentina there is a lot of controversy about Daylight Time and in 2008 the 13 western provinces of the country declined to turn their clocks ahead.

Right now, eastern Argentina, including Misiones Province and Iguasu Falls, is scheduled to turn the clocks ahead on October 18. If both countries go to Daylight Time in October, Brazil is going to be the same time as Argentina. If the Argentines abandon Daylight Time, which they only adopted about two years ago, there will be a one-hour time difference.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Northampton
reviews: 4
3. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

Thanks to both dutchguy and Capetien - useful info. On reflection it may be better to move accommodation to Brasil the night before the flight. I'm going to be up pretty early either way!!

Thanks again.

The Hague, The...
4. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

You could spend your last night at the San Martin hotel, very close to Foz do Iguacu airport and park entrance, but distance does not matter much of course. Search at www.hotelscombined.com and I booked through www.asiarooms.com .

The Hague, The...
5. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

sorry, asiarooms have only one hotel . They have more on the Argentinian side.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
reviews: 7
6. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

Northampton,

I stayed at the closest hotel to Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, Airport (IGU). It's the Hotel Florença, which cost us around US$60/night for a double. It's comfortable with all the amenities one would expect. E-mail me privately, and I'll share some of our pictures.

Closeness to the airport is not especially important on Cataratas Avenue. All hotels there are taxi distance, with at most only a few minutes difference between hotel locations, especially in the pre-dawn hours. Since you're unlikely to be using most hotel amenities, even the breakfast, I don't see why you'd want to pay more.

Note, by the way, that there is another airport in Puerto Iguazú, Argentina (IGR). It serves Argentine destinations.

David

7. Re: Early morning travel to Foz airport from Puerto Iguazu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 24, 2009