We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Which Mendoza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 2
Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Six of us are going to Mendoza in Mid-December. Should we rent a car or depend on guides to take us around to wineries? Which guides do you recommend and what are their rates? Any help would be appreciated.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
11. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Regarding your comment on Rutini and the wine glasses... are you sure that the glasses werent washed at some point before you saw this spraying routine?

I ask this because it appears to me that you saw only the final step in the preparation of the glassware. For a quality tasting, what you usually do is first wash the glasses and then you give them a final touch-up & shining, which involves spraying them with a solution of diluted fine-alcohol (pharmacy grade rubbing alcohol). This final touch up is done right before the glasses are to be used, so as to present a perfectly clean and lint free glass to the taster. The glasses are always pre-washed, washing is usually done in large batches as the process is more efficient that way.

I wasnt there with you.. but I would only conclude that they dont wash the glasses if you saw that used glassware (ie. with wines in them) were just poured out and then sprayed with the solution... else, Im willing to bet that the glasses were already washed and you witnesses only the final step in the process.

I know Rutini very well and they are a fine company, established for a long time and very professional. It would surprise me greatly if they didnt wash their tasting glasses.... they certainly dont need to cut costs in that way. Of course, maybe its a case of a roughe employee that is plain lazy, but IMHO thats unlikely.

Ottawa
reviews: 15
12. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Klever5

I would really be interested in your experience and advice touring the wineries around Mendoza. Four of us plan to do this in March. Did you find a good Tour Agency you could recommend? I don't fancy trying to contact each bodega for a reservation myself. Thanks.

Eric

Buenos Aires...
13. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

If you are staying at a full service hotel with a Concierge desk, please note that you could also have the hotel arrange visits for you and have then get you a car & driver. A tour company is not the only option out there.

Ottawa
14. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Thanks. Would you consider the Hotel Balbi to be "full service"? I am assuming not.

Eric

Buenos Aires...
15. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Sorry, Im afraid I dont know the hotel you mention.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 123
16. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

To Gaucho 100k:

In reference to the glassware washing problem at "La Rural" (not Rutini, unless this is another name for the establisment) after tasting, they were pouring out the leftover wine in a container and then spraying and wiping with paper towel. This was taking place right on the side of the tasting table!

Ottawa
17. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

darhma

I have been in touch with Gonzalo about using his services. He says to send you "a big hug". :-)

Thanks for the tip.

Eric

Atlanta
reviews: 8
18. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

Eric

Give Gonzalo a big hug back from Kyle and I.

He is a peach. I hope you have the opportunity to use his driving services.

Julie

San Jose, California
19. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

For those of you with big $$$, today I read that Mendoza will be hosting the first international Masters of Food and Wine event, on Feb. 15 to 18, featuring top chefs from all over the world, pairing their dishes with Mendoza wines. This is the international equivalent of the Masters of Food and Wine event at the Highlands Inn in Carmel, California.

If any of you goes, please write a report afterwards!

20. Re: Rental car v. guide in Mendoza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 19, 2009