We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour or hire private driver

Which Mendoza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 4
tour or hire private driver

Hello -

I'm going to Mendoza in April. My guidebooks said you can hire a private driver to take you around Mendoza. However, I'm seeing a lot of people on this site doing tours through companies like Trout and Wine. Have you heard of a couple of people just hiring a driver, versus embarking upon a formalized tour? We're normally the type to avoid tours and explore on our own, but I'm wondering if this should be the exception.

Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 75
1. Re: tour or hire private driver

If you want to tour wineries you need to book ahead. If you just want to tour the area then a private driver may be fine. We contacted Vines of Mendoza who arranged a private driver and booked our two days winery tours. We were able to choose the wineries we wanted to see to some extent (distances and other logistics had to be considered.

San Francisco, CA
2. Re: tour or hire private driver

FYI - I spoke with Vines of Mendoza this morning and they no longer offer a customized wine tour service. They, instead, recommend a bunch of other tour companies.

I would also like to just hire a car for the day, but am also unsure about how to go about it without booking through a tour company. The tours seem very expensive. My understanding was that a private driver is about $200P (<$70USD) a day for the car and driver, and the tours start at about $150USD pp -- a big difference in budget for 2 people! I know the tours include the price of tours, tasting and lunch, but I can't imagine those cost >$200USD for two people if booked outside an agency. I'd love to hear about other people's experiences.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
3. Re: tour or hire private driver

No, no! We paid much less than that! We paid 300 pesos for one day and 400 for the other for the driver. We paid nothing or next to nothing for the tours and tastings. We did find huge differences in prices between the two different organizations we contacted when trying to arrange tours. Please feel free to contact me privately for more information.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
4. Re: tour or hire private driver

I'm sorry. I did not read your letter carefully enough. That is too bad about The Vines. You could try to contact the wineries yourself and if you do not eat the lunch you would not pay that much for the tours.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
5. Re: tour or hire private driver

I, too, will be in Mendoza in April and had been wondering how to visit the wineries. It sounds as if the best bet are the wine tours although they do seem expensive. Que lastima.

San Francisco, CA
6. Re: tour or hire private driver

I just emailed my hotel (Hotel Argentino) and they said can make the reservations and book a driver to go to the wineries. We just tell them when we want to go and which wineries we want to visit and they set it all up! Sounds similar to the Vines service, only you have to pick the times and wineries.

Brooklyn, NY
7. Re: tour or hire private driver

Thanks for info!

Washington, DC
8. Re: tour or hire private driver

The advantage to doing a tour is you get a guide who can provide lots of good info about the winery you're visiting, how those wines compare with others, etc. The folks at Trout and Wine are all native English speakers, and their groups are real small -- no more than 6 people. Our "tour" was just us and one other couple. We usually avoid tours at all costs, but this was a wonderful exception.

Brooklyn, NY
9. Re: tour or hire private driver

Thanks - that makes sense.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
10. Re: tour or hire private driver

Brilliant Melicob! a little research will give you information to help you compare. I found that we could quickly tell what each winery was all about.

One interesting thing is how new they all are (the buildings and the companies, not the vines). We found it interesting to learn who owned each vinyard.