We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

Which Cordoba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
reviews: 18
Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

My wife and I plan to visit Cordoba next March 20-24 before going on to Buenos Aires. We would really appreciate suggestions for a city and area itinerary as the information on this forum is rather sparse. We like walking around the city centre and historical districts, nice restaurants and bars, perhaps an Estancia vist. and the rural/nature scene. For accommodation we would like something high-end budget to mid-range. Please help us make the most of our trip to Cordoba.

10 replies to this topic
Queenstown, New...
1. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

hi!! I'm from Cordoba! I'm not living there atm, but i'm sure i can give you some tips!

first of all, i would suggest you stay in a hotel in the CBD. there are some well known hotels in the suburbs (such as the hilton, hiliday inn etc), usually next to shopping malls but you will have to take taxis to and from the CBD and it will make you r trip expensive. I would suggest you the Amerian Hotel, the NH panorama hotel, windsor hotel and tower. all of these have webpages so i'm sure you can find some reviews and prices online.

since you will be staying right at the heart of the city, you can just walk pretty much everywhere.

must see sites include the Plaza san martin where you will find the Cathedral and the Cabildo (old town hall). you can walk a couple of blocks up through a pedestrian street to see the Manzana Jesuitica, with some churches, the university, library, etc. then visit the theatre Teatro del Libertador and walk up to the Patio Olmos shopping centre to have lunch (just next to the theatre). After lunch you can walk a couple of blocks up the Av Hipolito Irigoyen and see the Buen Pastor Complex and the Capuchinos church. you will be now in the area called Nueva Cordoba, where all the students that come from all around the country live. you will find plenty of shops and bars here, but also lots of young people so maybe not the best place to stay cause it can be quite noisy at night. you can finish your day visiting the Palacio Ferreira Museum (also known as Eva Peron muesum). a couple of blocks up the same av. other must see include the Canada river ( runs paralel to the Av General paz, one or 2 blocks away from the theatre so maybe just pay a quick visit. if you are visiting on a weekend day, make sure you go to the Paseo de las Pulgas, a street market worth visiting in the evening) you can also go to tPArque Sarmiento, kind of a central park for Cordoba, you can visit the Ciudad Universitaria there, that's the campus of the public university and have some LOMITOS in a nice bar enjoying the outside. the Zoo is not worth going though, it not well mantained (or at least it wasnt when i left corodba).

to visit an estancia, the closest one to the city is in Alta gracia, maybe a 1 hour bus drive. you can find tickets at the bus station, and you can either go and come back in a day or stay there overnight to really enjoy the countryside. there are other nice estancias a little bit further away, around 90 minutes drive. they are all very pretty, my favourite one is Santa Catalina, around 90 mins away from the city. you can also stay there overnight.

make sure you try argentinian ASADO, and if it's in a local restaurant in the countryside it will taste better for sure. i hope you enjoy our wine too, and the gelattos are popular as well. one of my american friends fell in love with the bakeries hahaha i dont find them very special but the bread and cakes and biscuits are worth trying apparently!

well, i hope i helped you, i'm not a tourist guide nor a tourist so i'm sure i'm missing some information, so this is the government webpage for tourism, maybe you can get some more tips.

http://www.cordobaturismo.gov.ar/ (hope you can translate it with google haha)

oh i'm forgetting to tell you there is a double decker bus tour that leaves from the cathedral, if you dont feel like walking, and they explain all the history and stuff!

i'll be in Cordoba next year in march, so if there's anything i can do for you guys just let me know. I'd love to drive you around to the Estancias if I can fit it into my schedule hahaha I'm currently on a backpacking tour around asia, believe me i know how helpful a local can be... but well, not really sure what i will be doing by march 2014!

London - The city I...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

After a very long wait I am finally planning a trip to Cordoba . I will be there the first week of August 2013

for about 4-5 nights . Please let me know what is CBD as I couldn,t work it out . Besides I love to stay in a lush upmarket area with a shopping mall not too far away . I love walking , cycling , shopping , and eating out in good cafes & restaurents . As I love mostly outdoor activity good weather is obviously an advantage.

I will be travelling all the way from the Caribbean , through Miami or Panama so it is a very long & expensive trip . So I would like to maximixe the benefit I can get . If necessary I can add 2 more days & visit Mendoza . Is the the trip to Mendoza worthwhile in your opinion or just stay in Cordoba ?. I would like to add that I have alreay been to capital BA years ago and I had good experience . The only problem we faced and we were a group of us is issues with Taxi drivers .

Please let me know if you recommend Cordoba from 1st to 6th August and what sort of weather I can expect and the best area you recommend .

Thanks .

Queenstown, New...
3. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

hi!!!! great so the first week of august is a good time, is not as cold as june/july but it's still pretty chilly, maybe max 20 degrees.. (well i guess that depends on where you are from) but it's usually sunny and dry so probably not a rainy day at all. the cbd is the central bussiness district.. town center, where all the buildings and stuff are.. but if you want to stay a bit far from all the noise, i'd recommend you stay at Orfeo Suites. they are in a shopping mall, which is not the best but the hotel and the area is very nice, and then you can walk, cycle or take a taxi to Avenida Nunez which is most important avenues in the north of the city. you will find plenty of high end cafes and shops. (forget about louis vuitton and channel since the import/export policies in argentina make it really difficult to have international brands, but you will still find good shops and restaurants). I'd recomend you go to Rancho grande for dinner, Il Gato for pasta, and there's a really nice place just next to your hotel that sells good ASADO. If not try El paso, a little bit norther on Av Nunez. . taxi drivers should charge you with the meter, but in Cordoba we have 2 different types of taxis: the yellow and black ones are called taxis and are good for short distances, because the charge you a small amount to get on them but then they charge you a lot per km. if you are going to travel more than 2 km the best option is to take a REMIS which are the green cars, they will charge you a bit more just to get on them but then they km price is much less than taxis. you can also take the bus, there are 2 different types: the normal one and the one with ac which is called DIFERENCIAL and has a better service. it's a little bit more expensive than the normal one but you will be safer and more comfortable and it will be way cheaper than a taxi or a remis. I take the normal one, it;s not dangerous but maybe you should stick to the other ones to avoid a bad experience.

mendoza is a beautiful city, it has wineries so if you are a big fan of wines i totally recomend it. otherwise it is very much like cordoba. if you are not than keen on wines, i'd recomend you go to bariloche, a little bit south from mendoza but you will have better views and see something different. or maybe even try to go to CALAFATE where the glacier is. 2 days will be enough for that and it will be worth it!! xxx

London - The city I...
4. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

Thank you for your comprehensive & helpful response . However , because of time limitation I went to Ecuador in August . I will use your guidence for a trip to Cordoba in Late December 2013 instead .

I wonder whether the weather would be nice at that time . By the way cold weather does not bother me as I grow up in England by the rain can hinder my outdoor movements .

Queenstown, New...
5. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

hey! so if you are from England you will find cordoba extremely hot in december, as temperatures get as high as 45 celsius, but anyway it's nice to go to the river and lakes and the countryside. december is the start of summer holidays in argentina so everyone will be excited to get some time off, but bare this in mind to make your hotel reservations and stuff.

the south of argentina will be lovely as it wont be hot at all, but you won't find much snow though. the glaciar of course will still be there! the north will be hotter, but it's a dry hot so i'm guessing it's not that bad, i went in september and the temperature was great so i'm not sure about dec, but i know it's a dry weather and that it gets colder at night so it shouldnt be too bad! i'll be in cordoba in a month and a half so if i can help you with anything let me know!

Ottawa
reviews: 18
6. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

Hi Antobobato

Sorry for not acknowledging your excellent post earlier but I have not visited trip adviser for some time. Great suggestions and very helpful. Thanks again. We will be visiting Cordoba in March.

eric

London - The city I...
7. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

I actually grew up in England , London to be precise so I am used to the cold weather . However , I have moved to the Caribbean 10 year or so for work & warmer weather combined . So I can easily adjust to hot/cold weather but rain restrict my outdoor movements as I love jogging & cycling & cafe life. How about October ? I am determined to visit Gordoba and wondering whether October would be a better bet than December ? I have a break from 19th October to the 26th .

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 12
8. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

Not sure where you are with your plans but I can tell you to NOT stay at the Estancia Ongamira outside of Cordoba. They took my deposit and never returned it when I cancelled far in advance - so just be cautious. Crooks.

London - The city I...
9. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

I will cross that hotel from my list .

London - The city I...
10. Re: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?

Hello Antobobato,

Finally, I have made it to Cordoba . I have stayed at the Orfeo hotel which is close to the airport . I actually used public transport most of the time with little problems . I used taxis sometimes with no problems and they are cheap & reliable . Avenue Numez is great for me and the dinner and wine at the Rancho Grande was awesome . There is a very nice Coffee shop & snack restaurant inside the Orfeo complex near the parking lot on the corner but I cannot remember the name . I went to Mendoza for two days & the place was packed . I have stayed at the Diplomat hotel , highly recommended . The weather at both places was about 30 to 35 C during the day which was fine with me . I also visited an Estancia but never stayed there also stopped for lunch on the way back at Carlos Paz . I wish I could have stayed 2-3 days more to get a better grip of the place .I keep discovering new places and then I had to depart which is sad . I will try another visit to Argentina in the near future but it is neither close nor cheap to get there . I enjoyed my stay as I have no problems and by the way the food & wine is fantastic & the people are educated, and cultured .

Reply to: Cordoba: What to Do? Where to Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted