We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
reviews: 8
First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

I read this news story on a well know new website in the Unitied States today:

…abcnews.com/theblotter/…first_daughter_.html

I love the comment someone wrote:

I'll bet the farm it wasn't any regular 'ole "purse and cell phone. Probably a Gucci handbag and a diamond-encrusted blackberry."

I visited San Telmo during the day and night a few times , even had dinner there, never had a problem.

She goes once with security and forgets her purse.

Bill

www.WilliamBert.com

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 3
1. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

This is what I said in early April, commenting on forum member DTinPDX's visit to San Telmo:

"More seriously, and of interest to tourists, I believe that place must be teeming with pickpockets, so I would advise using more caution than normal, particularly when standing among a crowd. I kept my hand on my wallet during all the time I was there. On the plus side, police presence is quite significant."

See: http://tinyurl.com/ymoyl3

So, perhaps the US Secret Service should read this forum!!! LOL!!!

This incident was reported today in our leading newspaper: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/861070

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 671
2. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

These professional thieves are THAT good where no one notices anything. I only had one experience with crime here and it was when I first moved here. I was at a business lunch and some thieves somehow managed to steal a laptop even though my client and I never left the table, it was between us, the restaurant was crowded, etc.

Professional thieves have to be pretty good if the Secret Service didn't spot them. Be careful in any major city you are traveling in. These thieves are all over the place....

Houston
3. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

Hi Bill, I'm sorry to hear about the president's daughter. I also spent an entire day in San Telmo and did not have any problems.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
4. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

My friends from the USA who know that I spend a lot of time in BA and that I don't care much for Bush have emailed to ask if I robbed the first daughter or paid someone else to do so.

I am innocent. I wouldn't wish a robo on anyone, including the president hizzself....(don't get in a twit, av, I know the spelling isn't right...there is only one z in hizelf :)

Paris
5. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

I'll bet the farm it wasn't any regular 'ole "purse and cell phone. Probably a Gucci handbag and a diamond-encrusted blackberry."

I bet the same!!!

Shaker Heights, Ohio
reviews: 7
6. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

Scary, but per MSNBC video, the Secret Service was beaten up pretty badly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15846961/from/ET/

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
7. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

Two separate incidents--first daughter had her purse snatched in one incident; secret service guy was beaten in a second incident, when first daughter was not around....

Buenos Aires...
8. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

I opened the URL mentioned in the previous post and it does not say anywhere that Secret Service staff was "beaten up pretty badly."

In fact, it says "Secret Service agents stood guard at a distance". Where is that "second incident" reported, Doc?

Orange County...
9. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

It's been a rough week for the white house. I saw on tv last night that a member of the white house staff was beaten and mugged in Hawaii when Mr. Bush stopped by there yesterday.

Orange County...
10. Re: First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

Honolulu motorcade crash (AP)The purse snatching wasn't the only trouble for those on White House detail recently:

· Two Honolulu motorcycle police crashed while in the presidential motorcade Tuesday. Details

· Three men mugged the acting director of the president's travel office as he walked down a Honolulu street early Tuesday.

· Mechanical problems grounded Air Force One in Vietnam Sunday.

· A Secret Service agent on advance detail for the first daughters in Argentina was beaten in an off-duty altercation.

Sources: AP, ABC News, CBS News, USA

I read some of the comments on the blog that Bill from NYC provided. Most were pretty nasty, but one said the thiefs were going to use the blackberry to break into Mr. Bush's head and put in stem cells so he would have a brain.

Now thats cold..ha ha