We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

We just got back to the States after a month-long vacation in Buenos Aires. What a grand time we had. I won't give you a complete travelogue, but some impressions really stand out. I speak a little Spanish but never had a problem. There was always someone nearby who wanted to practice their English.

By and large the Portenos are charming, civilized and polite. They can get a little pushy with the carts in the supermercados but that is exactly how they drive on the streets.

Get used to and learn to enjoy late lunches and later dinners. The food is outstanding. No one can come close to the quality of the meat whether you are dining at La Cabrera or El Obergon or Bar Guido or grabbing an empananda on the street.

We stayed in Palermo Soho and seemed to be closeby to a lot, but nothing is out of reach with the superb taxi service (I found no real difference in a taxi hailed in the middle of the street or a "Radio Taxi", although one or twice we had the restaurant call us a cab.)

The Blue Rate is great. We were put in contact with a money changer through a mutual friend. All transactions were handled at our apartment, quickly and efficiently. One rainy day, we had the courier stop and pick up a couple of umbrellas on his way over. That's service.

Shopping for some items is fantastic. Leather is so affordable and we found some great deals. I am a big man; of course, nothing in my size. No problem. The shop keeper took some measurements...three days later I had a jacket that fit like a glove

The "hop-on/hop-off" yellow bus is absurd. The audio track was off by two blocks, and therefore made no sense and the incessant cheesy tango track could not have been more annoying. I am taller than most people and kept getting hit in the head by low hanging branches. The experience was something we'll laugh about for years. (Yes, we took the "Hop-Off and Hop a Cab" option.

Finally, the greatest asset in planning and enjoying our trip was not the five tour books I purchased. The greatest asset was this community on the TripAdvisor forum. The data base and opinions provided were invaluable. You people are fantastic at removing any angst. Thank you for all the help you provide anybody that wants "on the ground intel."

We kept getting waylaid, so many things we missed because we kinda got hung up. Our only option to seeing all we missed is to go back. See you next fall (spring) in time for the jacarandas.

Ciao and thank you.

14 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 13
1. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Thank you for letting us know how you enjoyed your trip. I know how you feel, wanting to go back. We were there on a 10 day visit then moved there to live 3 months later :)

We spent almost 7 very happy years living in Buenos Aires. I miss it every day.

The Hop on Hop off bus does have problems but for people just arriving, it is still a great way to sit back and relax and still see the city. . jet lag etc can immobilize some people.. sitting on the top of a bus and just looking can be a good thing :)

Guidos ... ah yes, I haven't thought of that place in a while :)

We had friends who lived a couple of buildings away, so Guidos was a fave as was Hermanns on Sta Fe across from the Botanical Gardens.

Glad you got to bring something home that was made Just for you in BA.

I have a closet full of handbags :) and 7 years of wonderful memories.

Spring is a wonderful time in BA .. I like that idea myself .. chau .. gracias ~

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 36
2. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

That was such a nice review of your time in BA, with some good hints of what to re-consider and where to eat. Nice. Gracias.

Oh, and could you say where you had your jacket made, and if the quality is standing up, now that you are home ? I am not tall - au contraire - but could appreciate a leather shop with good tailoring, if I thought the workmanship were less inconsistent than I have often found in BA leather shops.

Keep thinking jacarandas, helps the winter months go by.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
3. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

What a wonderful report, thanks for sharing and that leather jacket does sound very nice :-)

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
4. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Thanks, MotownLucky, for telling us how your trip matched your pace. You did a lot of planning and comparing throughout 2013 of the options for this, your first trip to BA. Sounds as though your work has paid off.

Just think. On your next trip, you can wear the great jacket you had made in BA to ARRIVE in Argentina! (Clothes and shoes make great souvenirs because they get homesick too.)

5. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Qiu Urbano, Murillo 765. Ask for Marcelo. Tell him William sent you.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Hi, it's nice and refreshing to know about your pleasant stay here in Buenos Aires.

I think you did an accurate description about how we are.

Sorry about the low-hanging branches.

I hope you come again and enjoy!

Berkeley...
7. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

I'm sitting outside on a deck in Palermo Hollywood writing this post and sipping a wonderful Malbec. I had lunch at La Cabrera today. The steak was to die for! We both had the ribeye. Not knowing how large the potions were, we each ordered a medium. So much steak we could have shared one. We were able to rise to the occasion though an almost finish them. I love this city! I still have one week left and know I'll come back. I'm going to the polo matches tomorrow!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
8. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

That's great, Kristina! How I'd love to be there!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 660
9. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful trip report. I got a good laugh about the Hop On - Hop Off bus.

My last trip when I was with a good friend that had never been to Buenos Aires we tried taking it but we finally gave up. It was such a mess with them being so unorganized that we gave up. It sounds like things haven't improved since then with their organizational skills there.

Thanks again for sharing. I agree with you the TripAdvisor forums for Buenos Aires are far better than any Travel Guide.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
10. Re: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.

Year after year, someone reports how messed up the The Hop-On/Off bus was. For years, there's been hope for it improving and showing some reliability but the same or new failures keep being reported. Before I'd risk taking it, I'd make sure I had plenty of small bills on me for cabs and a Plan B.

Reply to: Some thoughts about our month in BsAs.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted