We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue rate

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cold north
reviews: 12
Blue rate

I am so confused. I have been reading posts about the blue rate. Today I even found it in the Wall Street Journal.

Does this mean we should bring $US with us and not use our credit card?

What about paying the hotel?

What about a purchase in a nice shop?

And where is it safe and profitable to exchange our money?

Thanks.

153 replies to this topic
ny
reviews: 60
141. Re: Blue rate

Bump.

I've been struggling to find the thread where someone listed an email contact for someone who would go directly to your hotel in BA to do a transfer. Would anyone be so kind as to link it to me?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 453
142. Re: Blue rate

We just came back. Practically everybody you come in contact with will want your dollars. Taxi drivers, guides, restaurants and exchange houses in most tows will give you blue rate. We unfortunately changed too much and could not change it back. You need a receipt from the same bank to change them back. Ended up buying a lot of junk at the duty free. Why do people buy at the duty free escapes me, it is always way more than in regular stores. Talk about scams!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 49
143. Re: Blue rate

I think you mean #138 in this thread:

Bring cash! preferably $50 and $100 bills to get the best rate. If you feel uncomfortable carrying a lot of cash, as anyone would, get a money belt. Additionally carrying larger bills will make carrying a lot of cash less bulkier and hence easier. When the official rate was at 6.11 to 1US the blue rate offered at exchanges was at 9.4 to 1US and that is a huge difference.

I got to the hotel late at night, too late to go to an exchange house and feel safe. I found a guy, Patricio from exchangeinargentina.com offering 9 to 1US, we exchanged emails and when he came to my hotel an hour later I found he spoke perfect english. All the bills were legit. I later went to an exchange house off of plaza Italia where mostly locals go and found a better rate of 9.4 to 1. You can see the latest blue rate at http://dolarblue.net.

Next time I go, I'll bring a lot more cash and pay for my hotel in cash since it's such a huge savings when you get the unofficial blue rate.

ny
144. Re: Blue rate

That's it exactly but looks like the site is defunct.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 49
145. Re: Blue rate

I have no trouble getting to the site. Here is the contact info:

You can also contact us by different ways:

By sending a mail to INFO@EXCHANGEINARGENTINA.COM

By calling to 15-3939-7418 from Argentina.

By calling to (+54) 911-3939-7418 from other countries.

I have not tried it yet but as of today they are giving 9 pesos to the dollar

Michigan
reviews: 18
146. Re: Blue rate

At a restaurant, just ask the maître d about paying in dollars?

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 1
147. Re: Blue rate

This may or may not seem like a silly question but we are in brazil atm heading to buenos aires next week - I have only just learnt about this blue rate therefore we haven't come prepared with usd. Is there anyway/ anywhere we can get usd out to trade to get this rate? :S

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 57
148. Re: Blue rate

ATM's in Uruguay will deliver USD.

If you are able to change your travel plans and come to Argentina via Uruguay, that could be an option.

Otherwise, a day trip to Colonia, once you are in Buenos Aires.

You should do your maths carefully, though, to evaluate if the time & expenses involved are worth it.

ny
149. Re: Blue rate

Thanks oats, don't know why my mobile isn't loading it. Patricio got back to me right away but only exchanges $500 and up so be prepared. It's our last day, we need maybe $100 more.

Chicago
reviews: 1
150. Re: Blue rate

I've looked at many (but not all) of the posts in this thread and other threads. I still haven't seen an address of a place to exchange usd at close to the blue rate. I rented a condo (leaving in Feb) so there is no hotel clerk to ask. Any info on a reputable exchange in the recoleta/palermo area would be appreciated.

Reply to: Blue rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted