We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Alabama
Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

My friend and I spent 5 days in BA in March. I always watch the TA forums before I travel to get information and occasionally ask a question. This is my first time to contribute. I will touch on some things that I see frequently on the forum and share our experiences.

First, thanks so much for the information on Xoom. This was easy and our exchange rate was much better than we would have received anywhere else. Please be aware that all the offices are closed on Sunday. I missed this fact and we spent a good bit of time traveling from location to location before we determined that we would wait until Monday to pick up our money.

We rode the HoHo bus even though this was our third trip to BA. This system is different from any other city that I have visited since you must start at the main location. There are no tickets sold at the different stops. It is a good way to see the city and decide where you want to spend time.

We had absolutely no problem with taxi drivers. All were polite, efficient and charged only the metered rate and always offered change. It was almost hard to tip the driver.

We were in San Telmo and Boca at two different occasions and felt absolutely safe. Both of these areas offer great photo ops, street entertainment and food. A great place to have a drink and people watch.

We did the trip to Colonia de Sacremento with absolutely no problem. We rented a golf cart at the airport and traveled all over the city - old and new with no problem. If you have covered everything in BA, take the trip but cover BA before spending a day on this.

We rode the train to Tigre and came back by boat. As a part of the ticket price for the boat returning to BA, we were given tickets on the HoHo bus. I was surprised that Tigre is much larger than I expected and a very pretty city.

I would encourage any traveler to make these trips without being a part of a tour. The cost is a fraction of the tour price and you are in total control of your time.

We were in San Telmo and Boca twice. These are my two favorite areas in BA.

My favorite meal was breakfast at the Alvear Palace Hotel. It was expensive but the food was fabulous, the service was superb and the surroundings are beautiful. It as great fun to linger over coffee, people watch and plan the day.

BA is a vibrant, friendly and interesting city. My fear after following the recent posts was that safety was questionable. My friend and I are in our mid 60's and there was never a time that we did not feel safe. A little common sense used when traveling is your most valuable tool...I will be in BA again....Thanks to all the DEs and other contributors who spend their time helping others plan their dream vacations and patiently answer repeated questions about hotels and taxis....

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
1. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Thanks for sharing your report, and happy to read you had a good time !!!

Cheers,

Gaucho100K

Geleen, The...
reviews: 41
2. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

I'm very happy to heard that you had such a great time in Buenos Aires! It's an amazing city itsn't it?!

Good that you felt save at all times, the fact that you used taxi's at certain times will definitely have helped. Great to see reviews like this one, which will surely help others while planning their travels to Buenos Aires. I hope that many people may go and visit the city as it's one of my favorites!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
3. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Great trip report! I read this, then immediately looked at my calendar to see when I can squeeze in a return trip. Not soon enough!

Buenos Aires...
4. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you had a great time.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 4
5. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

What a lovely report to read. I fully relate to it.

There is something just so special about BA. My husband and I think that extra spark ultimately boils down to its people - their great spirits and strong sense of every single person being important to and included in their 'community' for there to even BE one in the first place; their immense creativity (eg. from urban design projects down to dealing with a shortage of some domestic product); and their developed skill with surmounting obstacles large and small. All so that life can be enjoyed. Truly amazing no matter how many times you go there to be a part of that for a precious while!

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 236
6. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

YEA for BA...........again........and again........and again.

Thanks for taking the time!

Northampton...
reviews: 132
7. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Thanks for the report! I've been back from Bs As only 3 weeks, and I'm already sighing because I want to return!

I love what you wrote about the taxi drivers -- most are extremely grateful for any tip above a couple of pesos, and I've had so much fun talking with them, especially now that my Spanish is better!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 674
8. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Thanks so much for sharing. Indeed Buenos Aires is a special place. Glad you enjoyed it. Come back again soon.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
9. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

Thank you, southernbelle for an interesting and useful TR. So pleased that youall enjoyed yourselves in this fascinating city and its environs.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
10. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip to BA

We are going to BA this weekend. We will be staying at Art Suites in Recoleta. I am curious about Xoom. Can I send money to BA payable to me? Where do I pick it up? I checked Xoom site and it says that money can be picked up at Casa Central Libertad 1057. I am wondering if this is close enough to Recoleta.

Thanks.