We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 7
Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

My family and I just returned from nine days in Buenos Aires and had a very good experience with significant help from this forum. As a first-time visitor to BA, and to Argentina, wanted to share some lessons and dispel a lot of the myths I read about on this forum and others. For context, I traveled with my wife and our 7yo and 3yo. None of us speak Spanish and I was the only one who had previously visited a developing country.

-Warnings about safety are overblown. Yes, crime is certainly a big issue even in the nicest parts of BA. But if you've lived in an urban environment in the US or Europe, a lot of traveling around the city is commonsense. Dress like a local, don't flash expensive jewelry, electronics, or cash, and don't unfold a big map on the streets. Heck, it sounds like if you skip Av. Florida altogether, you'll avoid many of the scams. From what we saw of it, that was one of the least attractive parts of the city anyway so you won't miss much.

-Radio cabs (remise) are very easy to hail on the street or have a restaurant or hotel call them for you. At current exchange rates, we found it hard to go anywhere for more than the equivalent of US$6.

-Bring USD and change it on the blue market, which is a lot easier to do even from us non-Spanish-speaking gringos than we ever expected, or use a wire transfer service like Xoom.com. The additional AR$2-3 you get per US$1 will go a long way during the trip.

-The modern art in BA is fantastic. MALBA is to open until 830p or later every night and is a pretty quick jump over Palermo Soho for dinner -- even compared to DC and NY, it was very exciting to have a pre-dinner date at a hopping museum filled with interesting art. There are also two relatively new museums in San Telmo, MACBA and MAMBA, with more contemporary and modern art that are worth the trips. The architecture for all of these museums were interesting enough to keep our children occupied.

-It's hard to overstate how wonderful the parks are. We live in DC and spend a lot of time in NY and SF and BA beats them both hands-down in terms of diversity and activities in the parks -- it's a lot like Paris in that way, but with a much more relaxed attitude. This alone made it our kids favorite city to visit!

-While we were disappointed with much of the food, and particularly the pizza, the helado was as great as advertised. Our favorite was Jauja in the 3900 block of Avenida Cervino. It focused on Patagonian ingredients and had really creative flavors. In Recoleta, Cafe Gretha is an excellent spot for breakfast or afternoon cortado (and leche con chocolate for the kids). The staff was extremely attentive and patient with our children and makes excellent, in-house pastries, including medialunas, of course! Also loved Cafe Rivas in San Telmo and Las Pizarras in Palermo. The food at both was superb and prices extremely affordable. They're more date-night than for kids, but far less tourist-y than most of the parillas we walked past.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
1. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

Thanks for sharing your report, happy to read you had a positive experience.

You mention your mostly disappointment with the food... would you care to elaborate on the restaurants that you visited that were the biggest letdowns...? Its great to hear about the positives but I find that some detail on the negatives are just as valuable.

Thanks again for sharing....

cheers,

Gaucho

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
2. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

My thanks, too, JSFREED. Your report will go a long way to helping new visitors have a more relaxed attitude about spending time, especially with kids, in Buenos Aires. And you have provided some good, specific suggestions, as well. So, Gracias.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

Yes, definitevely an excelent report. Thank you very much. Lovely to hear kids loved the city!

Vero

Say Hueque Argentina tours

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 671
4. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

Thanks for sharing but I'd be curious like Gaucho to know where you all went to dine? I had some really amazing meals this trip. I think what's happening in the BA dining scene is exciting so sorry you didn't seem to like the places you hit.

I would love to hear where all you went.

Boise, Idaho
reviews: 36
5. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

great report. thanks for sharing.

your disappointment on pizza reminded my trip to italy a few years ago. we tried pizza a couple of times in rome and we quit trying. what we are used to in the states are pizzas loaded with stuff, meats, cheeses, and other stuff while the pizzas we had in rome barely had anything on them, which immidiately killed our appitite.

looking back the disappointment probably was caused by different tastes and expectations. however, it's always easy to go from less to more and much tougher to go the other way around. and i came to realize that to have same amount of foods at similar quality you will most likely have to pay more else where than in the states based on my traveling of some 20 countries.

6. Re: Traveling with kids to Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 12, 2014