We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - safety

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 111
Trip report - safety

My husband and I just got back from a 2 week trip to Argentina/Uruguay and stayed a week in 2 different hotels in Palermo Soho. I read a lot of pickpocketing, scams, and distrustful cab drivers before I left. I've travelled a lot but as a young woman I do take these stories seriously so was concerned about safety here. I am happy to report that we never encountered anything remotely unsafe. We walked around a lot and at night as well. We kept our wits about us of course and didn't wear or take anything valuable with us. We didn't read maps or guidebooks out in the open. We would duck into a shop or cafe if we needed to find directions. And only took our camera out of our bag when we were going to take photos. As well we purchased a "pacsafe" bag which is harder for thieves to steal from. This type of bag also allowed us to "lock" our bag strap around our chair/table when we were at restaurants/bars. We didn't take the subway but did take a lot of cabs. We found that cabbies were honest and didn't try to take us through the "scenic" route so to speak. Though I did usually have small bills so rarely asked for change from drivers. But when I did ask for change I checked the bills for counterfeit and found none. I am writing this because there are a lot of stories that can freak people out before they go. Yes of course even when taking all precautions random acts of theft can happen to anyone in any city. And I recommend that travellers should keep their wits about them and have common sense in any big city. But we found BA to be fantastic and want other travellers to not be deterred by the bad stories and enjoy this amazing city.

Rochester, Michigan
reviews: 3
1. Re: Trip report - safety

Excellent post with lots of good tips. Irish

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
2. Re: Trip report - safety

Wonderful ! Thank you so much for posting and I am sure, setting many minds at ease. It is much appreciated.

I am also glad that you enjoyed yourselves here .. it is pretty nice, isn't it ? :)

(although lately, I would like for it to be Not so hot )...

Thanks again and if you wish, add details. . hotel name, restaurants etc.

chau, gracias ~

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
3. Re: Trip report - safety

Thank you, unplainjane, that was a very helpful perspective to share - especially with visitors new to this Forum or to Buenos Aires.

I am happy to hear that you and your husband had a safe and enjoyable visit.

Gracias for posting.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 138
4. Re: Trip report - safety

Thanks for your report and glad you enjoyed BA.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
reviews: 14
5. Re: Trip report - safety

Another thanks for a fine and helpful post.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
6. Re: Trip report - safety

Yes, thanks very much for posting this.

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 125
7. Re: Trip report - safety

Haven't had any problems in five days. Tip: use US dollars when buying. "Official" exchange rate is about 5:1. However we received 7.45:1 from shop keepers for purchases made with US dollars. Also...pesos use the $ sign as well so don't get confused. But do use the "gray" market for currencies. More at ricksommer.net.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 4
8. Re: Trip report - safety

unplainjane,

What a nice trip report, . You let newcomers see how setting down and abiding by a few precautions can make them feel comfortable and appreciate what a fabulous city BA is. I think you're a good traveler who gets a lot of value out of the experience.

Leatherman,

Your blog made me smile. You say some cheeky things and just pop them into the middle of what you write. I liked that.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 676
9. Re: Trip report - safety

Thanks for taking the time to share with us. It's good when people give back and post about there experience. As you mentioned, if you practice common sense your odds of having a problem are greatly reduced. Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
10. Re: Trip report - safety

Thank you for your report and I hope you enjoyed Buenos Aires.