We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tango in BA

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 7
Tango in BA

I will be with my girlfriend in BA for 5 days and wanted to know what would be the most fun tango show, place, lesson people would recommend. We dont care to have a super touristy dinner/tango show, we would be good with drinks and dance. Any and all recommendations from prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Tango in BA

All of the tango shows are "touristy" and pretty much the same--dancers, live music, singers--just differing in scale and lavishness. Which is not to say that a tango show can't be enjoyable, just like a show in Las Vegas.

But for a different kind of tango experience, one that tourists generally never get, you can go to a milonga (a tango social dance hall) and see how the locals dance the "real" tango.

You have to know where they are as the hotel concierges don't know, and they are different every night of the week. There are more than 200 in Greater Buenos Aires every week.

Locals depend on free tango magazines to tell them times, addresses, days. You can download the free bilingual quarterly B.A. Tango here: …blogspot.com.ar/2013/01/free-download-ba-ta… and check it out for yourself.

Tango in BsAs is not to be missed. You will love it!

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Tango in BA

I completely agree with TangoCherie. You should get out to real neighbourhood milongas! I live in San Telmo and can recommend Cochabamba or Maldita milonga. They have group classes beforehand and both milongas are very welcoming to newbie tango dancers.

The best place to find a listing of all of the milongas in on this website - http://www.hoy-milonga.com/. It has a day-by-day listing of the milongas and tells you which ones have classes as well.

In general, the group classes are very average. You won't learn enough to be dancing with any grace or confidence in a matter of days or weeks. If you want to learn quickly and hopefully enough to dance a bit at a milonga while in Buenos Aires, do yourself a favour and get some private lessons.

I can recommend my instructor in San Telmo. He is excellent both for rank beginners and those wanting to refine and polish their dancing skills. I have recommended him to several people and all have been really happy with their classes and progress. You can contact Alejandro via Facebook - facebook.com/alejandropuertatangoteachings.

Good luck and happy tango dancing! You will have a fantastic time I am sure.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Tango in BA

Well... you have to be young, cute and single for Cochabamba to seem welcoming... : )

Hoy-Milonga.com is new and highly recommended. Milongas open, close and move so quickly these days that the printed guides are dated before they come out. Whoever is doing the website updates it daily. Genial!

And I strongly second the recommendation of Alejandro Puerta. He's really a skilled teacher and beloved by his students. Here is his website, which has a lot more information than his facebook page:

www.alejandropuerta.com

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 166
4. Re: Tango in BA

Folks a little help;

I will be with friend in BA for a few days, would love to see a tango show(but not into spending the ridiculous prices), I would like to learn a 'FEW" tango steps and so would my wife and friends, Dinner included would be a nice touch, any recommends that are REASONABLE.

Thank you

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Tango in BA

Bob,

There's a lot of information about shows on this forum. just enter "tango shows" in the Search box and you will find threads discussing the pros and cons (and prices) of various shows. It would be more helpful if you were specific about what you consider "reasonable," since that means different things to different people.

You understand that there is no audience participation during a show? You won't learn any tango; you will just watch and enjoy (and maybe eat).

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 166
6. Re: Tango in BA

do not want to spend more than $30 US dollars per person, we are on a tight budget, all places cost almost $100 US too much. Open to ideas.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 4
7. Re: Tango in BA

As appealing as learning Argentine Tango (‘AT’) in a couple of group lessons and then dancing it at a milonga might sound, this isn’t realistic. All partnered social dances need good instruction and plenty of practice first. No one would expect to learn how to play a violin in an hour and then play in an orchestra. Learning a partnered social dance involves learning skills first. This takes time.

Argentine Tango’s ‘basics’ don’t include ‘steps’ or ‘step patterns’ that you repeat as a substitute for genuinely dancing. Instead, its basics involve learning techniques of and options for movement grounded in AT’s principles; the posture and body ‘frame’ of this dance; how to dance with your whole body, not just your feet; how to initiate or respond to movement that your partner initiated; how to make the dance comfortable for both of you and how to reflect or accent tango music. Plus the floorcraft needed to navigate a crowded milonga so as to respect other dancers, travel around the floor and safety.

If you have the time and want to learn, it’s very beneficial to set up a series of private lessons with a well-recommended BA tango instructor who speaks a language that you do. You need to understand what an instructor is saying in order to correct your mistakes and learn why something you did worked or not. Trying to mimic just what you see being danced doesn’t work and can set you back because movement begins in the body and this isn’t always visible. (It’s not meant to be seen. It’s a tool.)

If you don’t have the time to take privates, then just relax and watch a tango show with or without dinner. (Dancing doesn’t feel good to do on a full stomach so a full meal combined with a show is fine but one combined with dancing isn’t.)

For a few pesos, you can go to a milonga, stand well back from the floor and watch people dance AT to a standard not known or taught in other countries. Soak up the powerful sights, sounds and atmosphere of a BA milonga and you’ll return home with unforgettable memories obtainable only in BA.

8. Re: Tango in BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014