We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick up cash from xoom.com

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
Pick up cash from xoom.com

I have transferred funds using xoom.com, and am now trying to figure out which is the best location for pick-up. I find addresses in Buenos Aires confusing. I'm coming from the airport and will be staying between Villa Crespa and Palermo, so I'd hoped there would be an office where we could have our remis driver stop between the airport and the hotel when we arrive.

In the alternative, I'm also relatively familiar with the city, and don't mind taking the subway or a taxi to pickup the money after we've checked into the hotel if there is not a location along our drive.

Can someone advise as to which location would be convenient?

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/cash-pickup

Thanks!

75 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
1. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Well I may have answered my own question using google maps to search all the addresses on the list. I think we'll just have our driver stop here on the way to the airport from the hotel:

Corrientes 2330 1º piso local 87

Balvanera

Capital Federal, Buenos Aires

I assume 1º piso means 1st floor. What does local 87 mean? Is that a suite number?

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 54
2. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

yes, 1º piso is first floor and although "local" means "shop" it could be an office / suite number.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
3. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Great, thanks, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

San Francisco...
reviews: 135
4. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Just a few comments on your original post:

- Make sure your transaction on xoom has fully cleared before you show up.

- Do not take the subway after you pick up your cash. WAY to risky.

- Make sure the pick up location is open when you plan to get your pick up. The closest "More Money" location to me was on Libertad and Santa Fe ave. This was a safe area; however, I would still be careful if you are picking up a lot of money. Plus you will need to take your passport to prove you are a tourist; which is worth much more than cash to a criminal. This location was open 9am to 5pm and closed on the weekends.

- There have been reports that they limit your amount for withdraw per day to like $500 or something like that. I didn't have a problem with that; but something to be aware of.

Good luck! I was in BA a few weeks ago and the weather was beautiful!

Portland, OR
reviews: 8
5. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Colo, They limit your Withdrawal to $500US? or Pesos? I arrive in two weeks and I'm going to send some money via Xoom and would like to know.

Thanks!

San Francisco...
reviews: 135
6. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Like I said, there have been "reports" that some locations have limited withdraws per day to $500 USD.

I didn't run into that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
7. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Very good advice. Thanks. We'll be vigilant and will use a remis.

Oakland, California
reviews: 2
8. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Hello J-

Im curious how you decided to use this service vs. just getting cash (pesos) from an ATM? My bank told me that they charge $5 per international withdrawal, same fee as Xoom charges ( I believe).

Are you thinking you will get a better exchange rate or are ATMs in BsAs either expensive (many additional fees) or do they give a poor exchange rate?

Just curious. We leave for BsAs on Thursday and I was planning to use credit cards mostly and get cash from ATMs when needed.

Thanks!

Jon P.

Oakland, CA

Portland, OR
reviews: 8
9. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

The exchange rate your bank gives you is probably 4.7 pesos to the dollar, last time I checked Xoom was giving 6 pesos to the dollar. That's about a 20% price difference.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
10. Re: Pick up cash from xoom.com

Xoom has a far better exchange rate. And you can find coupon codes online to avoid the transaction fee. Do some reading on this forum.

Reply to: Pick up cash from xoom.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted