We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 215
Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Please note: We are having beautiful weather.!!!!

Took bus #37 yesterday and it let us off within 2 blocks of Moviestar Central. Interestingly enough, in 2011 we paid a fee for a Sim Card......NOW IT IS FREE. But can anyone explain the psychology of an operation that does NOT allow you to purchase minutes right there, but makes you go to a kiosko to charge the phone??????? I didn't understand it then and don't understand it now.

To soothe our savage breasts, we galavanted in to VOLTA for their Dulce de Leche special: 1/4 kilo for 16 pesos,rather than 32. YUM.

Found a correo close to the ap't on Coronel Diaz and purchased a SUBE card without any hassle. Altho it is easy for us to get coins from the laundry lady downstairs, it is a pain....and the card relieves the hassle and IS less costly per trip.

Received a "hot tip" from our friend about Jumbo's 100% promotion this weekend and so we took a leisurely stroll over there this AM.......of course being vigilant about "black water spray". I was sure this promotion was buy one get one free like the US........but I was wrong. When we checked out, we received all these coupons that need to be used on specific dates for ANY item. I'm mpressed. The cab ride home with all of our stuff was a reasonable 21 pesos. SO.......the promotion is good thru the end of the day tomorrow. You may want to boogey over.

And now I have a new supermarket of choice. Disco downstairs is passable. The big Carrefour at Paseo Alcorta has been remodeled w/mostly dry goods and we don't like the feel. What used to be Carrefour Express on Scal Ortiz has also been remodeled and is a place to run in for a quick item or two. Jumbo has a great feel and is surprisingly "close".

Jet lag is wearing off and for the past 2 nights I've slept like a log. Do you think BA has melatonin in the air????????????

Wishes to all for a simply wonderful weekend.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
1. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

You didn't go through the entire Carrefours at Paseo Alcorte !

I agree, it is huge and not as appealing , I think, due to it size but they have everything there .. Every Thing ! lol

They have a fantastic fish department, produce, wine and imported departments and everything else a Carrefours has but just huge.

I get too tired before I have gone through the whole place and usually quit and go to the check out line... which is done very well now for faster checkouts.

I love Jumbo.The hardware part is like going to a Home Depot, if I remember that place correctly. And whatever you need, they have it .. pillows, chandeliers or toilet seats lol.

I don't know about the melatonin, although the sun and fresh air work the same, don't they ? Glad you are sleeping, glad to see your posts :)

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
2. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Thanks for all the detail. Have you tried the Chinese market around the corner on Segui? I liked going there for small items....more personal than Disco. Disco had better prices for wine though.

Scarlett, I have been told the Easy store next to Jumbo was a Home Depot once upon a time. Easy is a French chain that purchased Home Depots in Argentina....If this is true, no wonder it reminds you of Home Depot. lol.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
3. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

I had heard there was a Home Depot here, before we moved here but had no idea it was Jumbo ... lol, yes, no wonder it was familiar.

Boulder, Colorado
4. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Scarlet: We covered a huge portion of the store. However, I will admit we still had major jet lag. I found the store so dark. Nothing was where it used to be. One day though I'll give it a second chance........w/o DH. I'll be sure to check the fish.

Dr.D: Noticed the Asian market on Segui. I will go in now that you mention it. There is also a market w/Asian owners on Salguero just south of Libertador. 19 months ago they had great wine prices.

Belgrano beckons though. Will drag DH there tomorrow. Got to check out all the greens etc. in Chinatown.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
5. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

I know, they changed where things used to be . I have been there a few times so I got used to it but I know just what you mean. I thought it was more manageable before .. We like the fish market on Rodriguez Pena in Recoleta, at Vicente Lopez. There are two across the street from each other. . we buy really nice salmon . And there is a new and nice Carrefours on V Lopez in that block too, where they sell nice seafood.

Go to the Chinatown market (Casa China ) that has a window open where people line up and buy some sort of noodle dish that is cooked :)

I used to buy all sorts of goodies there .. and have lunch at Cantina China town ( I think that is the name) on the corner ..

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
6. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

BRAVO, Moreweird ! You are now an official 'local' - at least in my book.

There is another really nice Chinos mkt. on Cervino near Lafinur. And for a real treat, visit the markets in Recoleta, near Parque Vicente Lopez.....

Boulder, Colorado
7. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Thank you ALL for the tips.

Dr.D: That market i was talking about is just south of F. Alcorta.

Looking forward to another grand day.

CHEERS.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
8. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Quick note to all the regulars who are posting in this thread. There's a new cafe on Rodriguez Peña between Las Heras and Vicente Lopez -- the famous block with the two fish markets Scarlett mentioned, as well as the "all chicken" market, several carnicerias and fiambrerias, and many other markets and small shops. One would think this would be the worst imaginable spot for a cafe, but it turns out this one fits in perfectly, and "works." It looks like it was plucked straight out of Paris and plopped down there. They even manage to have outside seating in a way that brings the street scene into the cafe, but without the street traffic or constant foot traffic being intrusive. The name: "El Fundador." It's an immediate hit, already busy all day long. It's near the corner with Vicente Lopez, on the side of the street with Farmacity (opposite side from the vegetable markets). Definitely worth checking out. We had excellent "chicken caesar" salads.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
9. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Yes, that sweet little cafe !

I can't remember what they were before, some kind of shop but they did a brilliant job with the look of the place.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
10. Re: Missions Accomplished: Sim Card,Sube card,Jumbo 100% promoti

Great to know about, Punta. We once stayed very near there, and can just picture where it is - and, given your recommendation, almost taste that salad, etc.

Gracias for the recommendation, and Bonjour to DW.