We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

My girlfriend and I would like to go to Buenos Aires for a vacation in late November.

I have heard some unsettling complaints from various colleagues of mine about Buenos Aires who traveled there in RECENT MONTHS... Due to the economic problems facing Argentina these days (lots of strikes, city is dirty and lots of crime, no US dollars allowed, etc.), they hated their vacations in BA.

My question is... despite these economic problems is Buenos Aires still the same beautiful city it once was, with a myriad of sites to see and activities to do? Or is it not worth going to?

I am looking for advice, testimontials, etc. from people who have RECENTLY traveled to Buenos Aires (last 6-8 weeks). Were your stays enjoyable? Did you have fun? In sum, do you recommend coming here for a vacation in late November?

I appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help!

36 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
11. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

verobaires,

Thank you for the insight. As a local, what do you like to do for fun? Any recommedations for mouth watering steak and wine?

San Miguel de...
reviews: 35
12. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

And I just read a post today about theater tickets at Teatro Colon going for as much as $3000.00 pesos. Obviously SOMETHING is clicking along quite well. That is a lot of money for a night at the opera.

San Miguel de...
13. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

Konrad,

Take a look at this tempting little sweetener.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 1
14. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

Geoff, that price (3000 Pesos) was for a 7 hour special performance of The Ring celebrating the 200th anniversary of Richard Wagner, that also includes snacks during the intermissions. You can get very good seats for any other performance at Teatro Colon for 400 - 500 Pesos.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
reviews: 14
15. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

On the search for "mouth watering steak and wine," I would suggest you wait until you are here and ask a few locals in the area in which you are staying for their favorite small, dependable parrillas. These still exist, though not in the same numbers as 15-20 years ago. Of course, the well known, destination parrillas are good experiences (e.g., La Cabrera), but the little ones scattered throughout the neighborhoods often give you equal food and maybe a more relaxing meal, without the high prices and crowds.

San Miguel de...
16. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

Sandy,

I didn't realize that snacks are included. :)

I am so eager to go since they finished the complete historical restoration of the theater at a cost of I don't know how many millions and taking years to complete. It must be inspiring. I do believe those 500 peso seats will do rather nicely.

Thanks

New York City, New...
17. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

Hello Geoffbob,

Thank for that great video. Those buildings are absolutely stunning. And good to know about Teatro Colon. I cannot wait to see it now that it has been restored! And yes, good to know they include snacks!

New York City, New...
18. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

BASandy,

Thanks for letting me know that those prices were for an incredible event, and not the typical prices for seats. Are you a resident of BA? If so, how is life treating you there?

New York City, New...
19. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

PuntaLugano,

Thank you for that awesome advice on where to find Parillas. I will definitely talk to some locals and scope out the scene. Are you BA resident?

Los Angeles
reviews: 164
20. Re: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?

We have just spent 15 days in Buenos Aires (we leave tomorrow). We had the same concerns about the increased crime, strikes, and inflation. We actually considered canceling our trip. WE HAVE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME! Our concerns were completely unfounded. We were here two years ago, loved it, and wanted to return. Then we started hearing about all sorts of bad things happening here. The streets look pretty much the same, though there is less dog poop than our last visit - we have seen more people cleaning up after their dogs this time. We have never felt threatened, though just to be safe, we do not wear expensive clothing or any jewelry while here. We have ridden the subway many times. Just keep your hand on your purse or your wallet. A local warned us not to speak English on the subway. People have been very nice to us. Many have stopped and asked if we needed directions or any help. The dollar is still strong here and many things are still a bargain. If you have a friend in BA, ask them about the unofficial exchange rate. The food is still fabulous, the parks and museums are beautiful and the leather goods are gorgeous. Use common sense, don't act like an ugly American and you should have a great time in Buenos Aires.

Reply to: Is BA Still A Great City Despite Economic Problems?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted