We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Started out the day as the first person up for breakfast in my lovely B&B Otra Orilla--this place still uses the family silver! At 10 am got a call from AvRooster--be ready to go at 11! I was (ok, 3 minutes late), and off we went to Unicenter to buy bombachas de campo. Before I could say ´no mas´, I had a pair of gaucho pants, boots, cotton shirt, a backpack/purse and 3 belts made of carpincho wrapped and ready for me to buy. I was too shy to ask about a discount if I paid in cash (this was a very reputable store!), so DonAv did the talking and sure enough I got 10% off for paying cash--so total bill was $239 usd. Plus I got my tax-free refund to present at the airport--another $30* usd saved! Then off to sporting stores to look for futbol shirts. Only the team shirts were available without the name-numbers assigned (I just read in La Nacion that team members won´t officially be selected for another 45* days), so will look for ´bootleg´shirts on Calle Florida. Then to Jumbo to check out Luigi Bosca DOC Malbec prices. They were out of stock! In the meantime picked up some tins of Mendoza olive oil (quite good) to take home as gifts, and a 2nd suitcase to haul all my ´loot´. Then off to Mataderos to see the Sunday Fair. Tons of people, mostly porteños. Went to the museum, which is really good and well worth the whopping 2 peso entrance charge. Saw some of the ´folklore dancing´´..thought it looked much easier than tango! All the food kiosks were packed..finally found a line with minimum people and had a choripan..smelled the local ´jug´wine and decided to stick to water. Looked for the gaucho horse show, but couldn´t find the area. Then off to San Telmo. What a treat! Full of tourists, but much livelier given the quantity of street performers. Had to get to work taking photos, as Av was constantly reminding me of my promises to Reina! Finally found the Plaza where tango dancing is performed. Excellent dancing, with commentary provided between sets to give the audience a history of the dance. Unfortunately the male dancer-spokesperson turned this into a political discussion on the paper mill controversy with Uruguay, but before the commentary got too heated he and his partner returned to dancing and the crowd was happy. While we were returning to the car another ´performance´occurred. Two Argentines accused a street performer dressed as Charlie Chaplin of stealing their radio! All it took was 2 policemen present, and a crowd of about 30 people surrounded the accusers, the accused, and the cops. And Avrooster badgered me to take photos of the whole thing! Having no desire to spend a night in an Argentine jail if the porteño police took a dislike to my photo snapping, I handed the camera over to Av! Then when we returned to Av´s car we found it blocked by somebody double parking! After about 3 minutes the owner came running down from upstairs (a love hotel, perhaps??) apologizing profusely but I think he still got a few of Av´s ´lunfardo´ verbage en route. Then we drove home, going double the posted speed limit but stil slower than most of the other drivers on the road (I closed my eyes a lot). All in all, a wonderful day with Don Av!

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Great report, DTinPDX!

It was really my pleasure to spend Sunday showing you all those places!!

About the "bombachas de campo", much has been said here before. I must add, for the further mirth of TA forum members, that the OP chose a rather tight fit and looked GREAT in them, if you see what I mean!!! LOL!!!! She should throw away all those old fashioned clothes she normally wears and take home a dozen "bombachas de campo", for all occasions. Just DO IT, Debra!!!

After using a fine tooth comb, the only mistake I could find was that the entrance to the museum was one peso for each. In your report, it sounds as if it was two pesos each.

As far as I am concerned, the incident with the police was quite interesting. A street performer was accused of stealing a radio from a couple of locals and all his belongings, as well as the clothes on his back, were searched by the police, to no avail.

The interesting part was that he was apparently presumed to be guilty and seemed to have no rights at all!!!! Furthermore, most of the crowd was on the side of the performer. One explanation for this could be that most of us "porteños" hate our own police. Another explanation could be the universal preference for the "underdog".

More seriously, and of interest to tourists, I believe that place must be teeming with pickpockets, so I would advise using more caution than normal, particularly when standing among a crowd. I kept my hand on my wallet during all the time I was there. On the plus side, police presence is quite significant.

If so inclined, you can spend all of Sunday in San Telmo, have lunch, drinks, buy all kinds of junk or maybe even "antiques", watch all the performers, have pictures taken with them, the works!!!

Have a great time in our town.

Buenos AIres
reviews: 2
2. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

"Two Argentines accused a street performer dressed as Charlie Chaplin of stealing their radio!"

Wasn´t he authentic ! :)) Same as real "Charly Chaplin" that from time to time stole things and runned away walking with his famous walking style:))).

Probabbly the crowd wanted some more "actings" of our Charly :)) ....steal cops handcuffs for example :)))))

North American East...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Thank you DTinPDX for a nice report. Sundays in San Telmo are wonderful for people watching...even better to capture some of the "scenery" on film. It's a pity you can't post photos on the forum ... I've got quite a few that are very amusing ... including one of Charlie Chaplin and a somewhat "mature" streetwalker. Imagine your grandmother in a mini skirt and black fishnet stockings and you'll get a mental image you'll wish you could erase!

Avrooster: I hope to meet you on our next trip to BsAs. You seem to be a very interesting fellow.

Buenos AIres
reviews: 2
4. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Av is 1 in zillions :)

Buenos Aires...
5. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Any time, North American East Coast sleuth!!

Buenos Aires...
6. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

Reina, where are you? You are the expert!!! I believe you CAN post photos on TA. Am I wrong?

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
7. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

I think the "somewhat mature" streetwalker is supposed to be a Tango dancer...and she probably collects a lot more in tips from tourists than she could ever hope to earn as either a streetwalker or tango dancer. ROTFLMAO

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 26
8. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

What a good report, DT. You and AV had an adventure. I see why you didn't want to take a photo. They might have confiscated your camera for taking a policeman's likeness. I always ask before I take a picture. I have one of me with three policemen in front of La Moneda in Santiago.

It sounds like our discussions of the La Nelly cartoon and the papeleras was useful to you when the speaker started talking about it.

I tried to capture a photo of the Argentine Airline workers in the airport in November when they were demonstrationg. I didn't get a photo of them jumping up and down. I was taking it from overhead but I still was nervous because of the situation. I have a few photos of the airport terminal. I wish there would be somewhere I could post them. I don't believe there is a way to review the airport. We sure could use the information.

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 26
9. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

AV

I was composing and I didn't see your question.

She could try to add the photos onto existing attractions. Since it happened in San Telmo she could try to add it there. The problem has been lately that TA isn't posting all the photos I've sent in. I submitted twice a photo of carpincho shoes and an Argentine belt to add to my Calle Florida review. It was never put up.

I sent in 18 photos of the Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. The first 10 were posted but 8 are still not up after several weeks. They are the best photos of the batch, too. I received an email from TA stating that they received both sets originally. Here they are, by the way. It is a gorgeous cemetery that is more like a park than a graveyard. My photos are the ones with captions. http://tinyurl.com/pzvjn

North American East...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Shop Until You Drop--or Get Robbed--my Day with Avrooster

DD: Upon reviewing my "mature" photo, I have realized you are correct. The woman in question is undoubtedly a tango dancer. Madame, if you are reading this, please accept my humble apologies. I'm not very well versed in women's fashion.

I have just posted that photo, as well as 9 others of a typical Sunday in San Telmo on TA's Buenos Aires overview. They usually take a day or two to post, but TA has been a little slower of late. I've had photos take up to a week, but only after having submitting more than 10 for the same topic/hotel.