We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best restaurants in BA

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
The best restaurants in BA

The Trip Advisor staff has kindly agreed to "stick" a thread on Dining in BA, so that our recommendations won't simply disappear as new threads come along. Theoretically, No more "use the search under the green bar" posts will be necessary.

What I would like to do with this thread is to start a list of great restaurant experiences you have had during your stay in Buenos Aires. It would be good if we could agree to use a common format, beginning with the name of the restaurant, its street address (with cross streets, if possible), local phone, the zone in which the restaurant is located, and type of cuisine served in the restaurant.

Please comment on these four dimensions -- atmosphere, quality of food quality of service, and price per person, listing price of wine seperately.

Ok, here we go....

257 replies to this topic
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
1. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Introduction:

"The stomach is part of the human soul. The mouth is the gateway. Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are. It's not about how much you eat but what and how you choose to do so."--Eduardo Galeano

Nowhere is Galeano's observation more true than in Buenos Aires, where food plays an important part in the daily life and cultural identity of Porteños, as local residents like to be called.

In some parts of the Spanish speaking world the word "carne" is the generic term for meat of all sorts. Not so in Argentina. To Porteños "carne" is synonomous with beef, which they proudly proclaim is the best in the world. Indeed, the grass fed beef from the Pampas produces some of the most succulent, flavorful steaks found anywhere. While vegetarians are excused, a visit to a parrilla is a must for visitors wanting a great steak and a greater appreciation of Argentine culture.

The next most popular types of restaurants in Argentina focus on Italian and Spanish cuisine, reflecting the cultural background of Porteños.

Want to do as the locals....Start your day with medialunas and espresso in a local cafe, eat lunch between one and two, and dine between 9 and 10 PM. Take time eating and enjoy "sobre mesa," or table talk.

Don't expect the waiter to rush you, even when there are people waiting for your table. Relax, enjoy a good steak (I like the bife de chorizo), washed down with a bottle of Malbec wine from Mendoza. On other nights, try an Italian or Spanish restaurant...The former serve excellent pastas and the latter serve some of the best fish dishes in Buenos Aires.

Happy eating.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
2. Re: The best restaurants in BA

1880 Parrilla. Defensa 1665, San Telmo (across from Parque Lezama). phone 4307-2746

Parrilla, charcoal grilled beef and pork are the specialties here. Reservations highly recommended on Sunday afternoons.

Atmosphere. Neighborhood grill that oozes authentic historical character. decorated with posters, photographs and signe caricatures of local celebs, particularly members of the Boca Juniors soccer team. Waiters are attentive, each with his own suggestions for appetizers, mains, desserts and wines. Go on a Sunday afternoon and watch grand parents and parents enjoying each other's company while the kids go across the street to try out the playground equipment.

Overall: This is as good a neighborhood parrilla as you will find in Buenos Aires, probably no better than dozens of others, but as least their equal. What I enjoy about this place is the historic atmosphere and the site of families from the neighborhood enjoying themselves. Come here to soak up the atmosphere enjoy a good steak and a glimpse into barrio life.

Food. Steak or a mixed parrilla are the favorites here. For an option try the excellent pechito de cerdo. Appetizers include grilled provelta, marinated tounge, cheeses...or skip the appetizer and substitue a crisp green salad with oil and vinegar. Desserts are excellent examples of local fare...panqueque de dulce de leche, flan with crema, etc. A variety of inexpensive wines from Mendoza.

One of the specialties here is roast suckling pig....If you luck out and it is on the menu that day, try it! Highly recommended.

Service. The waitstaff here is all male, and they are all veterans. Dressed in vests, white shirts and slacks, they offer suggestions and are available as needed but do not hover. As with most restaurants in Buenos Aires, the wait staff will not rush you...You will need to ask for the check.

Not an expensive restaurant. If you spend more than 30 pesos (10dollars) for a meal here, including wine, you will probably leave stuffed and/or tipsy.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 4
3. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Good job, Dr.D.!

One of my favourite restaurants in town is Social Paraíso, in Palermo Viejo/Soho, on Honduras Street between Thames & Uriarte (two blocks from Plaza Cortázar or "Placita Serrano"). Phone 4831 4556.

Atmosphere: I'd say it's a small bistro, cozy, unpretentious. As Santiagov said after visiting it, it often gets noisy. That's why I try to show up early both for lunch or dinner. The only table they sometimes set in the tiny patio is my favourite. Since it's a small place, making a reservation is a good idea.

Quality of food: in my opinion, it's their best point. Short menu. Among their main dishes, you'll always find pasta, fish, beef, pork & chicken (usually one of each), and maybe some specials of the day. For lunch they offer a fixed price menu with starter and main. Great cocktails too.

Quality of service: I'd say fair. Not outstanding, not particularly poor.

Price: starter + main + dessert (without bev.)for about AR$ 45/60 (US$ 15/20). Lunch menu: not sure, but I'd say about AR$ 20/25 (US$ 7/8). Wines: no idea.

Buenos AIres
reviews: 2
4. Re: The best restaurants in BA

A atractive restaurant for the "Off the beaten track" travelers interested in a full day outdoors in the Delta islands is "Los Pecanes" (The Pecans),almost 2 hours one way by boat from Tigre Pier, the cost of the ticket in public boats is aprox. $Ar 35 per person, one way.

What makes this spot quite unique is not only the sorroundings of semiwilds islands and rivers, but the owners. The small B&B(3 rooms)is owned and runned by Richard Baert, Ana and Matías that are a very nice family of "islanders" (They moved from BA about 8 years ago, tired of the stress of BA and looking for a place where they could sleep with "open doors") who will prepare and serve for you homedade food.

On saturdays the chicken al "horno de barro" and on sundays asado (Lomo,vacio,asado de tira, chorizo, morcilla and some intestines among others...no testicles chewing here..) are their regular menu, accompanied by a wide variety of salads (Huge salad bar) with veggys grown in their small organic farm at the back of the house.

Desserts include tipical Argentinian ones as Creme caramel, "Budín de pan" with raisins, ice creams and different cakes. Here my TOP preference is Pecan pie(Yummi!)....

Service is friendly and fun, Richard is always kind of joking a bit( he thinks he has the sexiests feet of the Delta so he walks in summer without shoes, had some guests in my boat who pictured his feet :))))... guess visitors will enjoy his "decontracte" style. Ana ,( R. wife) is always proffesionally putting an eye on everything ( She cooks great) and Matias a Argeninian version of "Crocodile Dundee" makes at the BBQ, the best chicken in the neighb.

No crocodiles in the area, I I get that question over and over by visitors, only piranhas....not the Hollywood ones...)

On week days their menu is more veggy oriented. Think in fresh products, they taste GREAT, eg: Zuchinnis, zapallitos, different lettuces, radicchio ...among many others.

Only from time to time they prepare the BEST spanish Paella I ever had as its smoked by woods!

The full cost for lunch (including beverages, Aberdeen Angus wine, that´s a good cabernet to match asados, beer and mineral water)per person is $Ar35.( Aprox. U$S 11).

Give a look at their website,and if going, ONLY with previous reservations.

www.hosterialospecanes.com

miami, fl
5. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Hi everyone,

I will be in BA from May 15 to May 31. I have been lurking here for a few months and have really enjoyed the rich content on this forum.

One quick question about food....

A few weeks ago, I remember clicking on a link to a site that had customers ratings of restaurants in BA. There were categories for food like 1) quality of food, 2) quality of service, and 3) quality of ambiance/decor; the ratings were out of 30 possibile points if I remember correctly. It was very similar to how zagat.com does their ratings in the USA, only it was in spanish.

I guess my question is: does anyone have the link to this site? I think it would be helpful to post it here, as the page also has links to the individual restaurants.

Thanks so much for the help!

Daniel

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
6. Re: The best restaurants in BA

www.guiaoleo.com.ar

North American East...
reviews: 15
7. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Also

www.elgourmet.com

On the opening page, there is a link to Argentina in the lower left hand corner. Once on the Argentina homepage, there is a "Guia de Restaurantes" link centre top.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 672
8. Re: The best restaurants in BA

A new restaurant I went to the other night that was really great was Casa Cruz in Palermo. It has a way cool atmosphere. Prices are a bit expensive for local standards but it was worth it.

The meal portions are small but with appetizers, main dish and dessert it will fill you up. The staff was attentive as well.

I had a great time.

Uriarte 1658

Telephone #: 4833-1112

UK
reviews: 7
9. Re: The best restaurants in BA

We had a fabulous meal at Bar 6 in Palermo Viejo. Good menu. Great food. Excellent service and a very cool place.

reviews: 4
10. Re: The best restaurants in BA

I was in BA in March and had one of those special meals that you only get a few times in a lifetime...

De Olivas i Lustres

Gascon 1460 Palermo Viejo

4867-3388

www.deolivasilustres.com.ar

Our waiter was very young and at first we weren't sure how we felt about him because he had definate opinions about how we were ordering! After round one of the tapas though, we put ourselves in his hands and enjoyed the ride. (His advice turned out to be right!).

I've been to tapas restaurants in NY, DC and Spain and I love them. My experience at De Olivas brought the whole concept to a different level. The foods were imaginative, complex,fun and beautiful! It didn't seem to be a tapas meal as much as a food journey with brief little glimpses of favorite, special spots. Foods were used in creative and delicious but not overly fussy ways.

The tapas menu is set. You don't choose which ones you want, instead they've been arranged for you, this way, they work together and compliment each other.

They staff also works together. We never saw the chef, but our waiter and the manager (both were young and handsome) took turns bringing and describing our courses.

The restaurant is cozy and comfortable. There was a good mix of Argentines and travelers (travelers here, not tourists), and it is decorated in a whimsical fashion.There is also a non tapas menu which was very good.

We all (four of us) felt lucky to have had the experience and wish that we had this restaurant in our own cities!

Reply to: The best restaurants in BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted