We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 679
Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

I'm super busy lately but thought I'd take time to post this. I posted last week about how I witnessed a motorcyle attempt to steal a purse and dragged this poor woman down the street because she didn't want to let go.

I live here in Buenos Aires. I live in Recoleta and my office is also in Recoleta in a very good area. I have never seen crime until last week.

Today as my office manager walked out of our office and around the corner a guy on a bicycle stole her cellphone from her hands as she was talking. She tried chasing him and was yelling so people were chasing. Another guy on another bicycle (his partner in crime) got the phone with a hand off. People were chasing them and they did catch the first guy who actually stole it but she didn't recover her cellphone.

Please be careful. It's strange for me to see these kinds of things in a really good part of Recoleta. There is crime in every major city of the world. I'm not posting this to scare anyone. Just to be careful. She just spent the past hour in the police station filling out papers. The frustrating part is she didn't get her cellphone and the police officer said the guy would get out of jail tomorrow.

This all took place in the same block as a police station so keep in mind these punks aren't so scared of the police. Anyway, be careful and practice common sense.

Mike

Buenos AIres
reviews: 2
1. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

Notice on Mike´s post that this happened in Recoleta, a BA neighb. supposed to be the saffer one ( Guess that because of tourism increment, punks are targeting spots with many tourists walking around.. ....

Unfortunately this may happen in any BA neighbourhood. Its so fast polce sometimes are not fast enough...

One tip to avoid this is walk against traffic....but again, this scam is NOT usual in BA...but it happens..

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
2. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

I've heard of this happening in San Telmo and parts of Palermo Viejo but not in Recoleta which is surprising. These people usually target women. The people I have heard it happen or seen it were females. One thing is these thieves probably do some research. They notice what kind of shoes you are wearing. The lady I saw last week where they tried stealing her purse from the motorcycle was wearing high heels so she couldn't run. Today my office manager was wearing sandals.

I'm sure these kind of things happen in any major city in the world. Just be careful.

Buenos Aires
3. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

I have an Argentine friend who was mugged in Recoleta once and twice in Belgrano two supposedly safe areas.I think these areas are overrated in terms of safety.This friend told me her students are constantly mugged in Belgarano.

So much publicity of REcoleta as a safe place ( especially among americans)is misleading because people are not cautious enough.

Just my 5 cents

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

Y dale Juana, con la campana!!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
5. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

I didn't post that to scare anyone. I still say that Recoleta is amongst the safest areas in the city. If I had to be walking around at night I'd rather be in Recoleta than any other area of the city. It's safe overall.

There is crime in every major city around the world. I only posted so people are careful. BA is a special place. Every client that I've had since 2002 has fallen in love with the city and the people.

I've been all over South America and a city like BA just doesn't exist. My girlfriend from Colombia was here visiting and it was her first time here. She was so blown away but Buenos Aires. She has been to other countries around South America but never Argentina. BA is so different than the rest of South America and even Argentina.

Be careful just like in any major city around the world and you will be fine.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 65
6. Re: Be careful of Petty crime (thieves on bicycles and...

Saint, you should read my posts more often and you would have heard about a mugging in Recoleta....

I have mentioned several time witnessing a similar incident on Posadas in front of Patio Bullrich. Two guys, one on a moto on Libertad and the other on foot approached a couple from the rear while walking on Posadas, grabbed her purse, knocked down the guy and grabbed his watch, took off running and hopped on the back of the moto on libertad....cops were there in less than two minutes, but by then they were gone.