We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 30
Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

Loving Buenos Aires more and more each time I return. I first visited in 2005 when I was on a Fulbright Teacher exchange in Jujuy. I have been back about 10 times since, each time for at least a week when visiting friends and former students in Jujuy. This time I have been in Buenos Aires for about a week and my daughters and I have not been doing too many touristy things, but we are soaking up the atmosphere. Cafe hopping a lot, one of our favorite things to do in Buenos Aires. We have visited Café Tabac and La Biela (two of our favorites) but we have also gone to many lesser known cafes too! We had tea at the Evita Museum restaurant today for the first time, and we loved it. I think it has been discovered though, it was totally packed! We had been to the museum and for lunch in the restaurant before, but had never had tea there.

Our favorite restaurants have not disappointed us: Sottovoce (on LIbertador), Rodi Bar, and El Caldén de Soho in Palermo. Pizza at Filo was (as always) delicious too! We had a lovely breakfast at Baraka on Gurruchaga, where the breads and medialunas were excellent and the atmosphere very comfy.

Our visit to the Bicentennial Museum under the Casa Rosada was really enjoyable. It is very interesting and modern. We also went to the Casa de Cultura on Avenida de Mayo to see the exhibit Borges and Buenos Aires. I had never been into that building before! What a gorgeous place. The exhibit (which is free) was very good too! I loved hearing Borges recite his poems and see his interviews.

Tomorrow we are heading to La Rural, a place we have never visited, but my porteño cousins have always recommended.

I am finding Bs As to be much more expensive than ever, unfortunately. We are not on a shopping trip, so we have bought almost nothing. We are just enjoying strolling around and window shopping. I have been living in Jujuy for the last 6 months (on a sabbatical) and the price differences are dramatic.

Throughout the years we have stayed in many neighborhoods and many hotels. Our favorite neighborhood to stay in is Barrio Norte, since we find it the most convenient and we like the vibe. We have stayed there various times. Renting apartments, or at the MARSEILLE DES ANGES hotel, which we really liked. We have also stayed at the Juncal Palace (very economical and in a great location too!). We have stayed in Recoleta at the Trianon Residence and we found it very nice, especially for the great location. Right now we are in Palermo. We stayed at Posada Palermo a couple of times and really enjoyed it. This time we are at a new place, a small apartment called Color Botánico. It is very clean, modern and perfectly fine.

I am rambling now, but just want to finish up by saying that Buenos Aires is a great city. I feel so fortunate to have been here and to know it as well as I do. I wanted to thank the wonderful people on trip advisor who have always been so kind and so passionate about Buenos Aires. I read the forum each week and live vicariously through these posts sometimes. It is nice to be back!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
1. Re: Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

Thank you, newyorker for that interesting & informative trip report.

I have been to Buenos Aires yearly for several years, but I had not known of Casa de Cultura. Thanks to you, it is now high on my 'to do this year' list.

Your suggestions of hotels and cafes etc. will be useful to others contemplating a visit to this, as you say, "great city" !

Any time for the Ferria de Mataderos ? Enjoy La Rural.

And muchas gracias.

~MarnieWDC

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
2. Re: Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

How great that you keep coming back ! and you are passing your love for BA to your daughters :)

I love Cafe Tabac, they don't allow dogs so we don't go there often but I love having a coffee there in the afternoon and people watching. I like the Evita around 2-3 in the afternoon, in the garden if possible .. Pup is welcome but even without pups, or on a Sunday morning for brunch .. try again, it is not always packed.

I think it is just wonderful that you love it so much and keep coming back .. so do I ( love it so much) .. kindred spirits :)

Be careful, next thing you know, thoughts of moving here might start to pop into mind.

I am looking to more of your posts about your stay !

Edited: 9:29 am, July 18, 2011
Buenos Aires
Destination Expert
for Province of Cordoba
reviews: 10
3. Re: Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

Thank you for your review !

Unfortunately today was an awful day with this rain, I wonder if you have gone to La Rural with this weather. I also recommend it !

Looking forward to read more about your stay here

Cheers

Silvia

New York
reviews: 30
4. Re: Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

Well today's rainy weather was a bummer, but we still did get to go to La Rural. It was really wonderful. The animals are stunning and we also enjoyed the handicrafts from the various provinces and the gastronomic treats too. It is crazy that it took us so many years to visit La Rural.

We had lunch at Lo de mi Hermano on Gurruchaga. It was an excellent deal for lunch, a menu for 41 or 43 pesos including a drink and dessert. The steak was so tender and delicious. My daughters loved the budin de pan for dessert too.

Tomorrow is our last day before heading back to the north. We are going by bus. It takes 22 hours. We took the Balut Super Premium from Jujuy and it was super comfortable, although long. Got to get back to celebrate El día del Amigo. :)

5. Re: Buenos Aires trip review July 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 04, 2012