We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick trip report

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
quick trip report

I want to make sure I report back some of the details of my trip. I really appreciate all the advice I was able to get from this board and all the answers to my questions in the last several weeks.

My wife and I stayed in the palermo Uno apartment building unit UNO21 on Uriate and Charcas. We rented a unit directly from Mikesapartmentsba which was managed by apatmentsba. Originally i was planning only looking at apartments owned by the agency that was renting them but i figured that he had such a good reputation from apartmentsba that i woulf go directly through him. Turned out to be a great decision, only minor issue is that the internet wasn't working at check-in. we went for a walk around the neighborhood and when we got back there was someone in our apartment fixing the internet. We had no other issues the whole trip but i am confident they would have been fixed right away.

The apartment was great, nice TV, nice furniture, small balcony with table and chairs, bed was comfortable, the security guards at the gate 24 hours a day was a nice touch and they were all super friendly, especially Ramon. The neighborhood that the apartment was in was very quiet, I thought that it would be a little more lively but for others the quietness could be a real plus. Its a quick walk to the main area near Serrano square with lots of bars, restaurants etc and only a block or two from a Subte stop (plaza italia) and cafes, a pizza place, etc. I would definitely rent from mikesapartmentsba again and would recomend Palermo Uno

We took a Remis from the airport that was arranged by apartmentsba. The only reason I did this was in case the flight was delayed the driver and the person checking me in would have be able to get in touch. Our driver was very nice but I didn't think it was worth the expense, If i came back to BA i would take taxi to and from the airport.

speaking of taxis, we had no problems with taxis. We hailed radio taxis on the street and called them several times at night with no issues. The taxis were a great way for me to practice my spanish as most of the drivers didn't speak any english but were more then willing to carry on a conversation in broken spanish with me. One interesting thing is that several nights the radio taxi charged us a surcharge of several pesos for being called. This is evidently a new policy and it didn;t happen every time.

We ate at parillas every night but one when we at at the puerto cerrado Casa Felix. I had a list of some other restaurants that I wanted to try (Thymus and purra tierra off the top of my head) but each night when it came time for dinner i was craving another big argentine steak. We ate at Don Julio, La Cabrera, Parilla Pena and el obrero twice. I loved the food but could see how it could get old after a while. we ate tons of dulce de leche, provelta every night and more steak and french fries in a week then i have in the last 6 months but it was delicious.

el obrero was our favorite based on a combination of the food, the lady that waited on us both night, the perceived authenticity and most of all the steak. we ended up going back there on our last night which we rarely do when traveling but had enjoyed it so much the first night we decided to go again and really enjoyed it. Don Julio was a close second in my opinion and the only reason that I prefered El obrero was local feel to the place. Parilla Pena was also really good and felt the most authentic. I have to say that I have never had a restaurant recommended more often the La Cabrera. It was in guidebooks, on the nytimes, recommended by friends in the US, people we met in BA. I am sad to say that it didn't live up to the hype for me. The steak was overcooked, the only overcooked steak we had the whole week. The restaurant was full of tourists, The guy at the table next to me was talking about the seahawks the whole time and the tables are so close together that you feel like you are with them. The meal wasn't horrible but it was definitely our least favorite. I thought the free side dishes were nice but the weren't that great and seemed a little gimmicky to me. The meal wasn't a complete disaster, the mollejas were great. It definitely did not live up to the hype and was far from the life changing experience that others have.

we went to the River Plate-All Boys game with Tangol. I debated whether to go with a guide or not and in the end decided to go with a guide mainly because it was our first day in town and i didn't want to risk not getting a ticket. If you buy tickets through a guide you definitely pay a steep premium but in the end I was pleasently surprised. It was more then worth the money in my opinion to not stand in line and on top if it our guide was a very enthusiastic River Plate fan. On the ride to the stadium she gave us some back ground on argentine soccer, teh teams, taughts us cheers and gave us some perspective on the season. I had gotten the impression before booking it that the guide was there to keep you safe and thats about it. I felt like she added alot to my enjoyment of the game and would recommend Tangol,

thats all for now, I wanted to post some quick thoughts when I got back and thank eveyone for the advice I got here, but i am kind of rambling. Suerte!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
1. Re: quick trip report

Thanks so much for your excellent report. Happy to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed the parrilla food. Iam with you about LaCabrera.

One of my favorite dishes in BA is risotto with mollejas. If you like rice dishes then try this next time.

Come back to Argentina soo.

Greenville, North...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
reviews: 141
2. Re: quick trip report

Loved your detailed report! That is great! Sounds like you had a good trip. If you think of anything else, please update your report. Thanks so much.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 65
3. Re: quick trip report

A taxi driver recommended La Cabrera to Mrs. Dawggy and I back in 2004 or 2005. We were so happy to go to a place where there were no foreigners, prices were reasonable, service spectacular and the food sublime. Alas, the La Cabrera of old no longer exists as the restaurant has fallen victim to its own success.

Curse you New York Times and you too Guidebooks.

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 238
4. Re: quick trip report

Really enjoyed your TR! They are always wonderful to read, because they bring back terrific memories of OUR trips!

Can't agree with you more regarding La Cabrera. SO glad you loved El Obrero. Have never been there for dinner..................only lunch, but it never disappoints. Did not go to Don Julio this year because of mixed reviews. Will go on our next trip.

Ricardo.....thanks for the tip about mollejas AND risotto. I can never get enough mollejas in Argentina and now, combining them with risotto sounds sublime!

Come back soon!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 679
5. Re: quick trip report

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a trip report with us. I'm glad you had a great trip and hope you come back to Buenos Aires again.

6. Re: quick trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, May 21, 2012