We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 3
Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

Currently in BA, and we are enjoying the city.

We arrived in Iguazu (IGR) taxi to hotel was $100 and made our way to the bus terminal. Near the terminal we were able to get lunch and water to take out with us. Bus fare was $7.50 each way. After we purchased our tickets we got them stamped, they actually attach another docket to the original one then headed off to the train and walk to Garganta del Diablo ( Devils Throat). Amazing scenery, the walk out on the platforms was interesting we saw lots of butterfly's with "88" on the side of their wings. Be prepared to get soaked at the falls, we weren't expecting the spray. I took a waterproof camera with me it proved to be an assert snapping photos while others were protecting their cameras trying to keep them dry. The volume of water in capacity and sound is insane. We worked out there is approximately enough water to fill 50 average sized back yard pools every second! One of the signs advised that 40 years ago the falls were clear but now they have a red-brown tinge to them from the run off water from the cleared forests. On the way back we went through the upper rim area, on this walk we came across a mother coti with three babies the size of small rats trying to walk past us. We stayed in the park till it closed and saw a toucan.

Back to our hotel by bus and then went out to find a place for dinner it was New Year's eve. A lot of the restaurants were closed but we walked around for about an hour trying to decide were to go. We came back to one near the bus terminal, we were lucky to get in without a reservation, most places were offering a buffet style dinner.

We learnt our most important Spanish words tonight "una cerveza por favor" one beer please and the next most important "uno más" one more! and we were the only English speaking people there.

I got up to take a photo for the family of 5 members beside us and my son decided to join in the photo. This broke the ice and we joined in the celebrations with them and another couple, she was a Tango teacher. I could see and feel the passion for the music the ladies had. One lady was moving and grooving in her seat with her husband banging away on his computer, she seemed very frustrated. We saw in midnight with champaign and we're the last ones to leave.

Next morning we went back out to the falls and headed straight for Macuco walking trail, it takes over an hour. Here the mosquitoes are like sparrows, luckily we were well plastered with repellent. A couple of ladies passed us while we were taking photos of cotis crossing the path. One was carrying a plastic bag with a box of biscuits in it, the coti's picked up on the scent and dragged the biscuits down. Next minute there were about 20 of them ripping into the box and fighting amongst one another, a spectacular site. The ants on the trail are huge, they could carry you away ( actually about 25 mm long and 6mm wide) I swam in the base of the waterfall and was able to get some cool photos and movie footage from behind the waterfall looking out with the waterproof camera.

We headed back and it started to rain lightly at first but we then found out we were literally in a RAIN forest. There was some protection with the tree canopy but not for long.

Back at the visitor center we purchased plastic rain coats for $30 each, I think $28 was for the Iguazu falls logo on the back. Hint pack something if it rains but you will wear it where the falls are spraying as well. I walked around in Crocs which were practical, my son had socks and shoes he had a lovely walk out of the rain forest!. We did the rest of the falls and the ride on the boat, we were a bit low on Pesos so paid for the boat ride in US $ (rate of 3.8 close to 4 at bank) under the falls another great experience with the camera. At the end we ended up at the Sheraton, which proved to be lucky because when the bus came to the visitor center it only took on about 10 passengers and then left "sorry bus full ! "

Amazing scenery here at the falls, life time memories. We watched the film the " The Mission " prior to coming it's set at falls, a moving true story in the 1750's.

to be continued

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 36
1. Re: Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

Just a great trip report - wonderful descriptions and discoveries.

We watched THE MISSION movie before our Falls trip as well, and agree that it put so much in context - a definite addition to the trip.

Keep on with your adventure - and enjoying it, and writing about it.

~Marnie

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
2. Re: Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

Thanks again for sharing your trip to Iguazu. I will hop on The Mission bandwagon for one of my favorite movies.

Keep the reports coming!!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 81
3. Re: Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

Amazing report.... keep them coming...

4. Re: Trip Report on the Run - No. 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 07, 2011