We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report on the Run No. 2

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 3
Trip Report on the Run No. 2

Days 2 - 3

Went for a 90 min walk today around San Telmo while my son slept, it's good to get your bearings around the area, took some interesting photos early in the morning. No shops were open at this time. After eating 15 pieces of toast the size of 1 peso coin for breakfast at the hotel, we caught the Subte to the morning free walking tour, the A line has original carriages on it. The lines use letters, know the end station where you are travelling to so you walk down the right stairs and end up on the right side of the platform. It's good to have a plan if you get separated, I raced up the stairs but didn't jump on because I thought my son was still coming. When the doors closed on the train I spotted him on the train! We met at the next stop. The "Free Tours" was excellent, Gaston showed us the sights of BA again with passion and humor you got to feel the "real" city. People were throwing paper out the windows of the office buildings for New Year celebrations and it rained down paper constantly a real carnival atmosphere and a windy day helped keep the paper floating. We had pizza for lunch and made our way to the zoo where the cars, trucks, bikes and quads were marshaling for the Dakar rally. From here we went back to San Telmo. In the square there were a couple doing the Tango we had a beer here with other tourists. We then moved further up the street closer to our hotel. I had a beer and my son had a fernet at an old cafe / pubfrom our window seat we noticed the street name "Defensa" had 4 name changes since the 1700's.

It was worth the effort we made to learn a few words of Spanish before we left, we got out CD's from our library. This has made our trip really special. When we were at the pub above my son was talking to the waiter in Spanish and an old lady came over to help him out. She sat down and spoke to us for a while we fell of our chairs when she said she was 92, she looked 80 max. A very special moment for both of us. Another good tool is "google translate" you can type in sentences and get the translation very good to have a few phrases you think you may need in Spanish and English. We also used this in the hotel to communicate to the receptionist, it worked a treat. Diner was great we'll be going back there before we leave.

Day 3 We flew to Iguazu

We booked the taxi the night before, and confirmed the driver knew where we were going before getting in. It's handy to have a look at google maps to get your bearings so when your in the taxi you know your heading in the right direction. It seemed like we joined the Dakar rally again up to 90 kph in a 70kph areas and red does not always mean stop if there are no cars around. It appears Portino's take their time for coffee and eating but make up for it when they drive!

The check in process took a long time, you need to allow extra time. We arrived at 7:30 for a 9:15 flight. It took us 40 mins to get to check in, 40 mins to get through security then another 30 mins for the late departure. (we were lucky the plane was late) LAN staff were helpful and friendly.

to be continued.....

Buenos Aires
Destination Expert
for Province of Cordoba
reviews: 11
1. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

Thank you Shellwa for your report on the run,,, I hope all is going ok.

Nice to know you lived the feeling of the Rally Dakar here,, yes, it seemed that there were more participants in the road than the real ones....

Cheers

Silvia

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
2. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

I can't live without my Google translate :)

I am loving these reports !

Australia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

Thanks Shellwa for the Google Translate, must get to learning Spanish for Barcelona

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 236
4. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

Thanks for your terrific experiences! Brings back fabulous memories....and I'll have to live with them until we return march 9th.

Keep having fun!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

jetset23

the only Spanish words you need

"Necesito un hombre"

6. Re: Trip Report on the Run No. 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, July 06, 2011