We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report on the Run

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 3
Trip Report on the Run

I thought I would share my first day in BA while trying to readjust my body clock on my second morning here in BA.

First of all I must thank the Trip Advisor BA contributors, your contributions made a huge difference, you guys turn a trip into a special experience with long lasting memories.

Flew from Sydney to BA on the 29th, very cloudy but we saw the snowy covered peaks of the Andes breaking through the clouds.

We were prepared for the tourist fee of US $ 100 for Australians on entry, surprising some of the people on the plane had not heard about it. It's a shame the fee is only good for 12 months for Aussies, I want to come back again!!!

The money exchange tips to use Banco were spot on, the windows in the secure area were not open but were outside. Limit is US $500 exchange and Euro $300 ( $500 crossed out) and you require a passport. We saved $400 peso from approximately the difference in the rate of 3.2 inside to 4 with Banco.

We came through the customs area with many drivers and support crew with the Dakar Rally.

We went with the suggestion from our hotel and pre booked a car on arrival, no worries knowing you just look for your name on the sign and go. It was US $40 to San Telmo. Felt like we were in the Dakar Rally for a while going from 120 kph to 40 kph or stopping at the toll plaza rather quickly, a safe touch with putting the hazard lights on to warn the drivers behind.

We are happy with our hotel for the price of $65/ night. clean fresh staff friendly will find out about breakfast in a few hours.

We slept for a couple of hours then headed out to do the free walking tour in the afternoon. We walked about 10 blocks to the Subte, very easy to use $1.10 peso. Arriving an hour early we went for a walk and bought a sim card for our phones at $20 peso each, includes $15 peso credit. Works well we tested the phones prior to leaving the shop, just having an issue texting back to Aust. Will look into this a bit more later.

The Free Tour was great with Cecilia, (how appropriate Cecila is a female given name of Latin origin meaning the way for the blind) she was very friendly, warm, welcoming and helped us to see. The tour is a must do we saw the city, the people and their passion. It's also a great place to network with other people tripping around as well. We'll do the morning tour today.

One thing that struck us was food is meant to be enjoyed with others and time, no sign of fast food outlets here.

Looking forward to our next day in BA, the weather for us is surprisingly cooler than what I expected,a nice breeze.

Must go and thanks again.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
1. Re: Trip Report on the Run

Great report... thanks for sharing !!!

Hope you have a great trip.... and do come back to give us more of your impressions after your trip is over...

Cheers

Gaucho100K

York
reviews: 3
2. Re: Trip Report on the Run

I am looking forward to reading about your trip as we are going in Feb!

Please keep it up, as I have not found that many reports on South America as I have in the past on other forums! I agree that all the help is invaluable from other travellers, and I have spent many hours 'researching'! getting v.excited!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 4
3. Re: Trip Report on the Run

Enjoyed your report of your first day. What a great start! Look forward to hearing more.

There ard fast food restaurants in BA but one never has to resort to them because real places are absolutely everywhere!

4. Re: Trip Report on the Run

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 29, 2011