We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Thank You

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 2
Trip Report and Thank You

My husband and I spent a wonderful week in Buenos Aires from 27 August through 2 September. This was our first trip to BA as well as South America. Thank you to all the BA Forum experts for the wealth of information in these postings. I didn't ask many questions, but found many answers in just reading the questions and musings of others. We rented an apartment from BYTArgentina and the whole process went very smoothly. It was located on Rodriguez Pena off of Santa Fe in Recoleta. It was on the 8th floor and in the front of the building. It was not very noisy, despite this being a busy street. This can be taken with a grain of salt as I am a City Girl and tend to be able to ignore city noise. The apartment looked as it did online and my deposit was returned as promised.

The trip from the airport was quite easy as I just followed the instructions posted for finding Taxi Ezeiza. Even though my Spanish speaking ability is quite limited and the driver didn't speak English, he pointed out various sites as we drove through town. The return trip went especially well. I called Taxi Ezeiza and with my best Spanish tried to convey time, place and pick-up instructions. The dispatcher that I spoke to found my fractured vocabulary and grammar quite enjoyable and we both laughed through the conversation. I crossed my fingers and threw caution to the wind. I was rewarded by an on-time (In fact, slightly early) pick-up, a charming and competent driver, a clean car and a safe and timely arrival at the airport.

We had dinner at Casa Saltshaker. Dan and Henry were perfect hosts. The food was wonderful and creative. The wines were delicious and the company was fun, international and enjoyable.

Ice Cream at Freddo and Un'Altra Volta. MMMMMMMM!

We went to a La Mega Big Band Jazz Concert at Centro Cultural Borges.

We walked everywhere.

We took the BA free daytime tour with Maca (as in Macarena) who was informative, funny and a great people herder.

We ate at Rodi Bar. Thanks, Scarlett.

The weather was incredible. More like summer than the winter weather we expected.

We ate at Cumana and La Cholita, both in Recoleta. Food and service were lovely. We especially loved that no one tried to rush us through our meals.

Morning cafe and medialunas at Havana and Freddo (because they serve the cafe with frozen dulce de leche).

We walked along the waterfront in Puerto Madero and crossed the Puente de la Mujer. It was a beautiful day and felt quiet and restful.

We walked through the Recoleta Cemetary. The mausoleums are both fascinating and creepy.

Saturday afternoon we walked through the Feria de Hippies and admired the many crafts. I was tempted, but realized that I would never wear the silver crown ala Maleficent the Witch in Sleeping Beauty.

We had lunch at El Ateneo Bookstore and enjoyed its lovely restoration.

The Feria de San Telmo was wonderful. Unfortunately, we didn't have any room in our luggage for all the things I wanted to buy.

We searched for a Pinguino and finally found them in Palermo Viejo on Honduras at Calma Chicha.

We avoided falling on the difficult sidewalks and made it through our trip without stepping in what the dogs have left behind.

We ate lots of beef and drank lots of wine. We were never disappointed in the quality of the food/wine or the kindness of the waitstaff.

We enjoyed Buenos Aires and believe it to be a unique city. It should not be compared to Paris as it has its own charms and attractions.

Thank you again for all of your help!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
1. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

What a perfect trip report !

I am so happy everything went so well for you.. even the weather. It is quite cold today so winter came back when you left :)

Thank you for posting, when will you be back? :O)

Buenos Aires
Destination Expert
for Province of Cordoba
reviews: 10
2. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

Thanks to you vavia for sharing your trip with us !

Cheers

Silvia

Washington, DC
reviews: 2
3. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

Scarlett,

I have already started mandatory contributions to The Return to BA Fund.

I want to encourage people who think that going to BA for "only" a week is not enough time. I have been guilty of this type of thinking in the past. We were able to explore, relax, enjoy the rhythm that is Buenos Aires and eat and drink well.

I just wanted to add that at all times we felt very safe. Even when coming home late at night after indulging in the delicious Malbec. Use common sense but don't let fear cloud your enjoyment. Being in a foreign city allows your inner self to make itself known. Let it out!

Vavia

Auckland, New...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

Vavia, thanks for posting your report. We are also first time visitors heading there in just over 2 weeks time. It's great to read what you did, also your positive experience with the rental agency (whom we are also dealing with.) Cheers! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
5. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

LOL, let me know how that fund goes..

Who knows, the crown might still be there at the Feria when you get back. :O)

6. Re: Trip Report and Thank You

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 09, 2010