We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Feb 09

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland...
reviews: 10
Trip report Feb 09

We visited Arg between 10-24 Feb this year and have to say it is the best place we have ever been to. While we are not globetrotters, we are getting about and Argentina will take some beating. We like to try new places but this is the first time we are giving serious consideration to returning...if only the flights from Britain weren't so expensive!!!

We travelled from Edinburgh with a change of plane in Paris on both legs of the journey. A small point here, but how much of a rip-off is Charles de Gaulle Airport?

We paid £750 each for the flights with Air France who were excellent.

We changed money at Bank de Nation on passing customs

( thank you TA reviewers )and then took a remise for 120 pesos to Hotel Mine in Palermo.

For the remise simply go to the desk of any of the companies which are right in front of you, pay the set rate and a young lad shows you to your taxi.

Our accomodation was

Mine Hotel - 5 nights:very good hotel,excellent staff

Panoramic Hotel - 3 nights:very good hotel

Los Dos Hermanos estancia - 2 nights:Fantastic!

Home Hotel - 4 nights:very good hotel,excellent staff

We wrote reviews for LDH and Panoramic as LDH did not have a review since Dec 08 and we had to tell people how great our time there was. Panoramic has had mixed reviews and I dont really understand why.

Mine and Home are well represented on the review front and we wouldn't be adding anything new ie the staff make the hotels.

We loved staying in Palermo with the cafes, restaurants and boutique shops on every street, almost to the detriment of the rest of BsAs as we didnt see all the barrios we had planned.

We had a walk around the Microcentre and as others have mentioned, Florida and surrounding streets are perhaps worth an hour of your time just to see it but wouldnt hang about as there are so many far more interesting places to see.

Puerto Madero was really nice and we caught the tail end of the San Telmo market on the second Sunday. Bought some momentos there and we were annoyed that we didn't make it earlier in the day.

With the help of Scarlett, I managed to arrange a restaurant for Sat 14th, Valentines Night when I was going to pop the question to my better half, however, the Argentine FA had the cheek to move the Boca/Newells game forward 24 hours, meaning it clashed with my big romantic moment!

Thankfully, the restaurant changed our booking to Friday...the 13th!...Claire got her ring, I got to see the football, everybodys happy!! Who said romance was dead...Us Scots love our footy too!!

Anyway, we arranged the Boca game through the hotel and it cost 250 pesos each, about £50 each. Was a ripoff but beggars cant be choosers and I was not leaving Arg without seeing Boca or River.

Boca were not very good but the atmosphere was great even though it wasn't a full house, and the support the Boca fans gave their team even when getting beat was something that just doesnt happen over here.

I will repeat what others have said YOU CANNOT BUY TICKETS FOR A BOCA GAME FROM A TICKET OFFICE.

The season tickets are a swipe card issued to members, but members who cant make the game let out their seat via friends etc as happened with us.

A very decent bloke Sebastian took us to the game and dropped us after and it was his brothers tickets.

We flew to Iguazu with LAN, and here is my one major gripe...We were charged £200 each for these flights which are the equivalent of flying from Glasgow to London, which you can do for less than £50

Charging foreigners way over the odds(3x more than Argentines I believe) for these flights is a bit hard to take to be honest, however we still payed it so I suppose its our own fault...anyway, the Falls are fantastic and were worth every penny so I will stop moaning.

Our flight was cancelled on the return and despite a few nervous hours to see if everyone would be put on other flights that day it worked out not too bad, though we were 10 hours late getting back to BsAs.

Then it was the estancia and I have reviewed that on TA, suffice to say it was fantastic.

Back to Palermo and Home Hotel and more great restaurants. The ones I can remember were

Sette Bacco - Scarletts excellent recommendation. Great food, very romantic, perfect for a special occassion even if they didn't have the two most expensive champagnes on their menu..thankfully! Green Bamboo - Chilled out, laid back, great cocktails and the food wasn't half bad either

Don Julios - Excellent parrilla, rustic relaxed restaurant

Divine Patagonia - very small menu but beautiful food and another very nice restaurant with terrific staff

Bar Uriarte - great lunch and a cool trendy place

Cafe Chez - San Telmo restaurant we stumbled upon which I hadn't heard of at all beforehand. We absolutely loved it. French based but the steaks were terrific and once again the staff were brilliant, a recurring theme.

I have to go now as I'm late for 5-a-sides and want to wear my new Boca strip!

But just to say a big thank you to Karma, Dawgy, Soulskier and especially Scarlett for your their great advice and help and all the other BsAs residents on TA. Those of you who stay in Argentina are lucky, the people are so friendly and helpful and I really hope to return some day soon

Cheers

New York City
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
1. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Hola Greenlawbear

Nice report and great photographs!

I enjoyed reading your impressions - gracias for sharing them here...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
2. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Congratulations on your engagement !

I am so happy that everything worked out so well, that you did so much and enjoyed it all.

Perhaps Buenos Aires will be a good honeymoon spot?

It was a pleasure to be in on the planning of your trip and your trip report is a treat!

Thank you ... and hurry back :)

San Jose, California
3. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Greenlawbear,

I assume that she said "YES", right? :-)

Congratulations!

New York City
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
4. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Doh!

Pardon my manners Greenlaw, congratulations on your engagement and pending marriage...

Well done indeed! :-)

Glasgow, Scotland...
5. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Thank you all for your commiserations.. sorry congratulations !!

We will def be back, and you may get a mini invasion of Scots soon because we cant stop telling people how amazing Argentina is!!!

At least the makers of Quilmes will be ahppy with that..

Solothurn...
reviews: 40
6. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Great report! Congrats on your engagement, too.

I'm glad you had a nice time in Argentina and are thinking of going back.

One thing, though, I believe distance between BA-Iguazu is about double than from London-Glasgow. Having said that, you won't find the ridiculously cheap offers for flights as you have in Europe. That just doesn't exist there.

Buffalo, New York
7. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Congratulations Greenlawbear!

Your comment regarding the cancellation of your LAN flight from Iguazu back to BA is making me nervous. I booked us on the later of the 2 flights out of Iguazu on a Monday in May, and we have a flight out of BA to Cusco early the next morning, so if our flight from Iguazu were cancelled, we'd be in serious trouble...

How common are flight cancellations out of Iguazu to BA on LAN? Should I book the earlier flight to be safe? Or not worry...?

Glasgow, Scotland...
8. Re: Trip report Feb 09

I really wouldn't worry too much about the flights.

We were actually sitting on the plane when we were told to get back off due to a technical hitch which I believe was all to do with the Air Con.

The flight was initially dealyed and eventually cancelled.

There were only two other flights to BsAs that day

and it was a mad scramble to get tickets for them.

How easily does society break down?

Everyone boarded one of these other flights with priority on the first flight given to the elderly etc

There was a lack of communication from the staff which upset a lot of people.

If you need to know anything else please ask

Cheers

Glasgow, Scotland...
9. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Jessesq,

Sorry forgot to say, I would take the earlier flight if you can..better safe than sorry. Im sure everyone made it on to one of the flights, HOWEVER, there was a lady(whom the whole airport could hear) who said she had a connecting flight that day...she was on our flight 8 hours later as opposed to the one which was only 4 hours later.

As I said it was a bit of a scramble...

CC7Bern,

Im sure you are right about the flight distance, but still a bit steep with the prices dont you think?

Thanks for the congrats!

PS I would love to go to Switzerland as well,it looks beautiful, but I hear the beer is dearer than a flight from BsAs to Iguazu!!?

Cheers

Buenos Aires
10. Re: Trip report Feb 09

Congratulations!