We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
beverly hills
reviews: 53
Trip Report 2/27-3/6

First a big thanks to all people on this forum for their contributions and help. The trip was a great success because of the information received here. We flew on LAN from LAX through Lima to BsAs without a problem and with good service. Arrived at airport and breezed though customs and immigration where we then exchange money at Banco de Nacion..3.53 at the time was a good rate.Proceeded straight to taxi kiosk and for 98 pesos got a quick ride to our apartmetn on Ruggieri near Las Heras. The people from Byt Argentina rentals were 50 minutes late in meeting us..which was the only little glitch in the trip. While waiting we met some nice people including Marcelo, who along with his partner own a bakery type store down the block on Ruggieri called Macerata that has some tasty items. The apartment was as advertised and I would use BYT again. For $345 dollars for the week including the fee a very good deal. We liked the location with a fruit and vegetable stand or two and a place on the corner where we called home for 2 pesos. Two larger markets where nearby as well and of course we enjoyed ice cream at Perscco.The first night we walked to Palermo Soho and had delicious steaks,some smooth Malbec ,artichoke appetiser, salads and very good flan at Lo De Jesus. The next day after walking to and enjoying the crafts fair around Recoleta Cemetery and the not to be missed cemetery itself with the most amazing array of monuments, we walked down Junin to Juncal and lunched at La Querencia where I ate a great Cabonada stew and my boyfriend enjoyed stuffed tomatoes with tuna. Since it was Sunday, it was time for the activity in San Telmo , so we took the Subte there. We were there for a few minutes..and frankly it was interesting but too crowded and then it startd to rain..really rain..But with luck we got a taxi back to the apartment for like 20 pesos. After the rain stopped we walked to the Evita Museum which was of some interest, but later discovered the girl who sold us the tickets slipped us a fake 10 peso note which we found out about when we went to the market afterwords.It started to rain so we ducked into Bakan and had a nice salad and pizza before heading home.Monday started with a nice free tour of the city center with Gaston of BA Free tours. A nice way to get a quick feel of BsAs. That night hopped on the Via Bariloche bus for Iguazu. Would do it again without hesitation. We took the Super Cama bus and had the front two seats coming and going which I highly recommend. You are ahead of the stairs that everyone uses to access the bathroom and you have the great view out the front of the bus. We arrived and walked to the Iguazu Jungle Lodge where we really enjoyed our overnight stay (see separate review).The beauty of the falls and environs are breathtaking! A must see. If you are fit, as we are and move fast..one day is enough to see Iguazu. We paid for the boat that went under the falls..and it was wet and wild!..terrific for 75 pesos each. We dined at La Rueda that night..fair to good food and service.After lunch the next day at Piacere, very good pizza, we hopped back on the bus for the trip back to BsAs.Thursday morning arrived back and walked to MALBA museum..just ok.. Took subte to Paraiso mall and Florida street for some shopping. Walked again to Palermo Soho and had great meal at Rave recommend by our friend Marcelo Great atmosphere and eclectic menu.Boyfriend enjoyed filo and tomato salad and salmon. I had great spinach salad and vegetarian stirfry with a ginger sesame honey sauce.Our last day we subteed to the Water Palace, where they stored the water years ago..a must see and the El Ateneo bookstore on Santa Fe..a huge bookstore in and old theater.We enjoyed the Japanese Gardens in the afternoon and that night after dinner at the apartment took a taxi to the airport for our flight home..No problems at airport or crowds. Paid aboout 130 peso departure fee. Flew back trough Miami which was great because we went through customs there instead of LAX. In all we liked the atmosphere and affordability of BsAs but especially enjoyed the friendly people and service wherever we went

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 104
1. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Hi nipples:

Great report!!!.

I'm glad you had a happy and enjoyable stay in my country.

Patsy!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
2. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Thank you for your trip report ! Lots of good info and You two didn't stop moving the whole time !

I hope you get to stay longer on your next visit :)

New York City
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
3. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Hola nipples...

Lo de Jesus was definitely a culinary highlight of my trip; glad to read your meal was equally satisfying as was your entire journey to BsAs/Iguazu!

Gracias for sharing.

Orange county, Ca
reviews: 4
4. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

hi, is it possible to do a roundtrip to the falls from BA in one day? We have 12 hours to burn before our plane leaves??

beverly hills
reviews: 53
5. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

one way on the bus is 17 hours..so that's out..dont think the flight schedule will work either..and it is very expensive to fly..to spend so little time there..I'd say ..not this trip

Orange county, Ca
reviews: 4
6. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

ok I will forget that idea. What then do you suggest to do for the 12 hours we are there on Easter Sunday?

Argentina
reviews: 23
7. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Nice report, Nipples!

Thanks for sharing... Now you have to come back to see the NW!!!!

Giena

Solothurn...
reviews: 49
8. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Great post!

And here I was, thinking swiss were too controlling drawing two little feet on the escalators, two together to the right, if you are too lazy to move, and one on each step to the left for those who are in a hurry :-))) at least we can fold forms as we please...

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 233
9. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Great trip report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We arrived home Jan 15th, after 10 glorious weeks and I am actually drooling......wish we were back there NOW. In fact, today, my husband said: I miss BA. AND that was after a glorious 6 mile hike in Boulder, CO.

Argentina gets in your blood!

Northern California
reviews: 66
10. Re: Trip Report 2/27-3/6

Thanks for a great trip report!