We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 42
Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Special Day - A Porteno from WDC was in BsAs visiting family. He took us to the the former Escuela de Mecanica de la Armad – the spot where many of the dissapeared were tortured or drugged and dropped into the Rio de la Plata; it is now a kind of community meeting and educational center for The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo an association of Argentine mothers whose children “disappeared” during the military dictatorship between 1976 and 1983. It is on the site of the Parque de la Memoria – which is impressive, but requires a reservation or a bus tour to enter. We will certainly return to see the memorials in process and the statue of the 14 year old ‘lost boy’ in the river.

It is stunning how history comes alive in such a setting. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k2351…

That evening our friend took us to dinner with his family and friends, seriously challenging our Spanish, but providing a delightful evening with interesting Portenos.

Transportation A great site for plotting how to get around by Subte, Collectivo or Walking is: http://www.comoviajo.com/ A good supplement to GuiaT, and easier to use.

The Subte was fine and not at all difficult to manage – but caution should be taken with bags, wallets etc as in any large city – especially at rush hour or conversly, when there are too few riders (e.g. late at night). You can pay with bills and get change, yea! Subtes are not air-conditioned so can be stuffy in summer. Line A with it’s ancient wooden panels & seats was interesting, but if you miss it – no big deal, IMO.

Collectivos are great once you get the patterns. My husband has gotten us to far and wide on Collectivos (a bit of a challenge as there are a gizillion different bus companies and each bus takes a different route going and coming on the mostly one-way streets) but the guides above are great – the drivers helpful and it is well worth the effort if you have some time and enjoy the adventure. We surely did, and finding the bus stops gave us the opportunity to walk in different neighborhoods and on small, interesting side streets and passageways (always conscious of not veering into questionable neighborhoods).

Walking is what it is all about for us. Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo, Centro etc. what a wealth of wonderful walking options – and did I mention the cafes? Buenos Aires is walking and café sitting heaven.

Favorite Restaurants. What can I add to the list? – not much. We went to El Sanjuanino for a lunch and a dinner – loved the empanadas, salads, provelettas -and were kicking ourselves for having missed it last year – it is right next door to the hotel we stayed in…..We enjoyed lunch at Sante – tasty food, excellent service and all round a place to return to. We loved Sirop for our romantic Valentine’s Day dinner: We had coups de champaigne, a delicious and nuveau picada then I had an amazing sole en croute and DH had an excellent steak (maybe one day we will have had our fill – not yet!) And oh yes, creme brulee and helado! Sooooo, they can roll us back onto the plane.

We love Buenos Aires. This by way of apology for this looooong report.

Suerte. ~Marnie

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
1. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

We were sitting at Volta tonight after a long walk around Recoleta, enjoying the cooler night air.

Pup was with us so I hoped you might have been out .. so glad you are enjoying yourselves so .. taking the collectivo! you are my hero ! lol

Santé is great, isn't it ? and Sirop.. and ..... lol.. have you been to Melo yet ? We will be there this week :)

Keep posting reports, I love them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
2. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Marnie,

I am really enjoying your report. Lots of good tips. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Looking forward to the rest.

All this is doing is highlighting the fact that I MUST get back to Buenos Aires soon.

raquel

Solothurn...
reviews: 50
3. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Love your report, keep them coming!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
4. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Thanks to youall for your responses - and for all the earlier help that led to the choices we made on this trip. ~M

Washington, DC
reviews: 96
5. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Wow -- sounds like u are becoming quite the Porteno. Even though I continue to be green with envy am loving reading about your trip. Looking forward to more. R people still excited about OB down there?

Glad u liked Sirop

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
6. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Liked Sirop? Oh no no - we LOVED Sirop! And yes, from my limited interactions, it seems that Obama is still considered a potentially great leader for the USA and the world. We're crossing everthing! Say hello to YESTRAVEL - we'll eat empanadas for you and drink some MORE Malbec for him. :O)

~M

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
7. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

<< we'll eat empanadas for you and drink some MORE Malbec for him. :O)>.

Anyone who has been to Buenos Aires, realizes the great sacrifice that Marnie is making for her friends ...

:O)

Marnie, have you had Sidre yet?

If not, go to the wine shop and buy a bottle.. chill it and tell you how you like it.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 5
8. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Sidra is from Argentina.. Sidre from France (and those countries that use the French spelling of the word cider). You can readily buy it at the grocery stores.

It's considered very much a drink of the masses (and the lower & middle classes -- so don't go taking a bottle to someone's house for dinner unless you're sure they won't mistake your gesture) and is usually imbibed at Christmas and New Year's. It's pretty sweet -- and can range from festively tasty to swful in taste. Look for one made totally from apples or pears (or both).

For one of the beter ones, look for Sidra Finca Los Amaya.

Washington, DC
reviews: 96
9. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

It truly is amazing what fellow DC'ers will do 4 1 another -- such scarifices...

Interesting history on the wine.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 64
10. Re: Marnie WDC Trip Report - First 10 days [Part 2]

Marniewdc, I hope your DH is finding great red wines to have with his steaks! Love your updates...keep em coming!