We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 671
Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

I've lived in Buenos Aires for over 4 years now and never had problems really withdrawing money from the ATM machines. I have several high maximum daily limits and never had problems withdrawing money.

I've been outside of the country for the past 2 weeks on holiday and just returned and I noticed that since last week, none of the ATM's I tried withdrawing will allow me to take out more than 300 pesos (less than US$ 100 each time).

Before anyone says it depends on my bank back home...this isn't the case as I tried all my cards and they all worked before. I've tried at least 9 ATM machines around Buenos Aires and they all only allow 300 pesos each time.

Does anyone know if there is some systematic change put in place to restrict the use of cash going out of ATM machines?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
1. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

We usually use the closest BNP Paribas and they sometimes allow more and sometimes $300..last week he got $500 at a time.

Could it be because of the holiday on Wed? banks were closed..

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
2. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Hi Scarlett,

I'm not sure...I usually take out about 1,500 pesos each time. One card 3,000 pesos at a time but I've tried several machines and none let me take out more than 300 pesos at a time.

I get the bad feeling maybe banks are trying to restrict withdrawals but I'll try again this week. I've tried every day since Thursday and it's all the same. Hopefully they don't limit to 300 pesos or less each withdrawal as that would be a pain for tourists as most don't come with lots of cash depending on the ATM machines.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
3. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Try the Paribas on Las Heras y Pueyrredon..or ( don't laugh) the ATM machine in a Disco.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
4. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Saint, we just went through our usual relocation from Punta to BA for the winter, arriving Thursday evening. Beforwe leaving Punta, I was following a thread on BA Newcomers (Yahoo chat group) on this topic -- everyone going nuts over a sudden 300 peso limit. On Friday I noticed the thread was still growing, but I stopped reading it. I was terrified to try my usual ATMs in the Citi branches at Callao and Alvear or on Santa Fe near Rodriguez Pena. Finally, yesterday afternoon, I screwed up my courage and went to the first one -- and was able to get 2500 pesos in one withdrawal, which is more than ever. I'm trying the one on Santa Fe tomorrow. (Citi did institute a 1% fee on these ATM withdrawals a couple of months ago, but I guess that's minor given all the other potential problems.)

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 5
5. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

I took out $1000 pesos earlier tonight from the Banco Frances. What network does your bank use because it has nothing to do with your bank itself but rather the network that puts the limit on the transaction. For example "the plus" has always had the 300 peso limit, where as "cirrus" didn't impose the restriction.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
6. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Hi guys...

I'm on the Cirrus Network and it's never restricted access to my daily limit for the past 4 years. I really think it was a new change.

Punta - I tried that Citibank on Friday but I'll try it again today. Hopefully it was just something temporary....if that that will really be inconvenient...

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
7. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Punta,

No go. I tried today as well. I think there is some problem with the system although the timing seems coincidental....I thought maybe the government informed the banks to restrict the amount of money from ATM machines but I did a test today. I can only take out 300 pesos at a time but I can keep withdrawing up to my daily limit, although this is a pain as some of my banks charge me a per fee transaction.

It's not just one card either..it's all my cards that are doing it with several different banks both in the USA and UK.

A pain to deal with....

Palermo
8. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

I have been having the same issues as reported by saintba. I have been in BA for four months now and only last week have I encountered these limits. My ATM card is on the cirrus system and previous to the last four days I was able to pull out 1000 pesos or more. Now I am limited to 300 pesos. I have tried many different machines (including one at Disco.) It must be a new systematic change and I am hoping it is temporary.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 81
9. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Mike... I think that the remaining loopholes that existed to bypass these crazy limits have now been closed. Its my understanding that now all networks are working with the $300 peso limit.... first they capped Visa debit/atm cards, now also MasterCard plastic is also affected.

I need to check my Argentine Citibank cards, but last time I tried I was able to get $2000 pesos from a Citibank Teller, and $1000 pesos from the Banelco network.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
10. Re: Changes in ATM Machines and Withdrawal Limits?

Gaucho,

I think you are right.... I have several different bank accounts and none of them let me take out more than 300 pesos at a time. I have some local bank accounts. Today I'll see if I can take out more than 300 pesos at a time. I agree with you that they are making systematic changes to change the amount you can withdraw... But do you know what their rationale is? You can still take out your daily limit, you just have to do it many times in 300 peso incriments and I don't see the income going to the banks (except back home that charge for each withdrawal)... so what do you think their rationale is behind it?

With so many tourists here, limiting how much you withdraw isn't a smart move. I've had several tourists complain about this new change.