We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes in Turkey

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
reviews: 1
Snakes in Turkey

Hiya

I read an article before on the bbc news that some chap from Preston, england got bit in altinkum by a snake and died.

Just wondering what the snake situation is like in turkey. Im staying in the Montana resort near olu deniz which is in a big pine forest. Would of thought it would be snake city, any ideas.

Just curious.

Cheers

Kayakoy, Turkey
reviews: 2
1. Re: Snakes in Turkey

Yes there are snakes in Turkey. Although, the likelyhood of you seeing one whilst on holiday here is almost nil. Staff at the Montana Pine Resort are well trained to deal with snakebites and the medical services in the area have excellent facilities to handle emergencies of that nature.

You are more likely to encounter a scorpion than a snake, but if the usual precautions are taken, it shouldn't spoil your holiday.

The fella that died, was not initially aware that he'd been injected by a snake and when he eventually went to a hospital they were unable to give the correct treatment. Further complications set in.

Whilst I've tried to put your mind at rest, you do need to be aware that there is always the possibility of you encountering one of Mother Nature's little terrorists!

Forewarned is Forearmed.

Have a great holiday!!

Blackpool
2. Re: Snakes in Turkey

cheers for the info

ill be on snake and scorpian watch

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 30
3. Re: Snakes in Turkey

And I recently heard that a stairway collapsed somewhere in Holland and one man died. Does that mean I will never climb a stair again in my life???

There are snakes, so far since I live here i have seen only a few, and for sure the snakes are more afraid, they dissapear when they hear foorsteps.

Then there are many harmless ones and some poisoness ones. Don't worry too much, there are adders in the UK too and were you ever worried about that?

Have a very nice stay in Mantana resort!

Blackpool
4. Re: Snakes in Turkey

yeah suppose your right, having never been o turkey i was unsure of what to expect

cheers for the info though

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 30
5. Re: Snakes in Turkey

Don't worry Muppet, I live here since 2000, I have seen about 4 snakes, and only one scorpio, a dead one!

hull england
reviews: 14
6. Re: Snakes in Turkey

i,ve been to turkey 9 times never seen a snake. been to olu deniz 6 times. you love turkey. peole so friendly. have a good holiday.

Blackpool
7. Re: Snakes in Turkey

Thanks alot guys

Looking 4ward to it

kent
reviews: 3
8. Re: Snakes in Turkey

Been to Olu Deniz three years in a row and never seen a snake yet - saw a tortoise when we went quad biking!

Poznan
9. Re: Snakes in Turkey

Hi,

I visited Turkey two weeks ago - Fethiye. During my visit of Kayaköi I saw ca. 1,5 meter long black snake in the ruins of this "death" city. This snake was very fast - it´s crossed the street. Nobody told me the name of the snake - in the hotel too... I can employ the visit in this city - it´s very interesting(I saw a wonderfull Gecco too) there

Regards

Gocek, Turkey
10. Re: Snakes in Turkey

This is a subject close to my heart, since 2 years ago TA kept deleting a photo I'd taken of a viper in our garden because they said it was not relevant, even though someone had asked the same question as you.

The long black snakes are grass snales, and harmless - I've only ever seen 2, one on my neighbour's patio and one somewhere miles away from here.

I saw the viper at night when the electricity had cut off and we were making our way with a torch. Two local cats came to greet us and we all surpised a tiny but very hissy viper at the bottom of the steps. I saw it or another very similar later the same year, but nothing since.

You can see how small it was in this uncensored, full-frontal photo!

www.flickr.com/photos/dudisimo/1160775692/