We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tyne and Wear
reviews: 22
Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Can anyone advise what the best way for my 12 year old grand-daughter would be to take her guitar on holiday with us? Would it be classed as extra baggage and have to go in the hold, or, would it be allowed in the cabin as hand luggage and go in an overhead locker?

We are travelling to Dalaman for 3 weeks in July/August and always stay in a private villa on the outskirts of Ovacik. She cannot last the 3 weeks without playing as she is obsessed with it. Sometimes the owners in bars let her play on theirs when we drink in their premises, but she would like to take one of her own guitars with her this year to play at the villa when we are just chilling out.

Her Mum told her she would think about it depending on cost and hassle etc.

Any advise much appreciated.

Tyne and Wear
11. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Thanks to all of you for the advise, but, obviously with travelling with Thomas Cook we will check it out with them nearer the time. As most people have said it varies from which company you travel with.

Cheers

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 59
12. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

I would check it out now. T.Cook are famous for not giving you a straight answer, or any answer at all. We know from last year when we had to contact the Trading Standards to get T.Cook to answer our question...

Tyne and Wear
13. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Thank you Francis Jane, I agree with your comments and will tell my daughter to check it out as soon as possible to ensure she gets an answer, rather than wait till the last minute and be none the wiser,.

We only booked Thomas cook because that was the cheapest deal at the time. We travelled with Jet 2 last year and it was more baggage allowance and I think more leg room, but we missed out this year for their cheap flights deals.

Thank you very mush for all the replies.

NW UK
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
reviews: 51
14. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

I should have added for around the same cost as a return guitar baggage- you can buy some very decent half size guitars, there's one in the start (background) of my video -blue- great as they fit in a suitcase!

Tyne and Wear
15. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Update to my original question. (Carrying a Guitar on Board a Plane)

My Grand-daughter did take her guitar on holiday with her to Icmeler at Easter as hand luggage, this was after my daughter contacted Thomas Cook online and got something in writing from them as back-up in case of any problem at the airport.

She is taking it again in July when we go to Ovacik for 3 weeks.

Actually, when we boarded the plane I was surprised just how many other passengers were travelling with guitars or other musical instruments.

Anyway a good result and at no extra cost, one very happy grand-daughter now.

NW UK
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
reviews: 51
16. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Well bless a my soul what's wrong with me,

I have had to pay the last three trips. Jeez, I'm going with you guys next time!

Tyne and Wear
17. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

On a cold and grey Newcastle morn another free guitar trip was born via Thomas Cook.

The New Forest, UK
reviews: 9
18. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

No fog on the lagoon?

Tyne and Wear
19. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Wheyaye, ya reet!

...the free guitar is all mine all mine, the free guitar is all my-yin

NW UK
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz