We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

I'm staying at Stellenbosch for the night - and have booked a Shark Dive in the morning. The operator has asked me to reach Gaansbai at 7AM - and with some margin - this means i have to leave at 4-4:30 AM.

I wonder if it's a good idea, given that there'd not be many cars on the road. Is the route well-lit, is it predominantly a highway? Are there any dangerous suburbs en-route?

5 replies to this topic
Fordingbridge...
reviews: 129
1. Re: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

I would be more than happy to drive that route at any time. In fact I drove most of it earlier this year. Drive down to Somerset West on the R44 and onto the N2 heading east. You then take the turn off for Hermanus on the R43 & follow it through Hermanus, Stanford & into Gaansbai. It's a very good road all the way & should only take 2 hours at the most.

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 37
2. Re: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

I agree... If you are thinking about carjacking, robbery, etc. - hard to imagine such a thing on that route. It'll be getting light by the time you reach the most isolated stretch of road - between Hermanus and Gansbaai.

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 38
3. Re: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

Hi,

The other option is take a different operator. There is one operator which goes out at 10 am, so you will not have to leave that early..

Cheers,

Kavita

New Delhi, India
4. Re: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

Thanks Guys - Guess I will take the drive after all.

Kavita - looking to have lunch at Hermanus after the dive - which won't work out if I go in at 10 AM. Thanks for the advise.

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 40
5. Re: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?

The road markings are clearly visible on the drive and you will not have problems with being car jacked or getting lost along the way. leaving at 4:30am will give you more than enough time to reach Gansbaai and then for the afternoon to have lunch in Hermanus. Try Burgundy for lunch, i tell you they have brilliant meals and the service is awesome.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Reply to: Safe to Self-Drive from Stellenbosch to Gaansbai at 4 AM?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted