We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Cape Town for our honeymoon and will be spending 1 day (possibly 2) touring the surrounding wine country (Franschooek, Stellenbosch, possibly Paarl). We unfortunately don't have too much time to spend, so I'd like to know which wineries/vineyards would really be worth our time.

Thanks!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
1. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Boekenhoutskloof was a highlight for us. Make sure you take in a MCP producer as well.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
2. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

It's a very generalised question & difficult to answer. What are your favoured grapes & types of wine? Do you want to include meals during your tour? Are you interested in beautiful scenery?

You will find it very useful to obtain a copy of the latest Platter wine guide.

http://www.wineonaplatter.com/

philadelphia
3. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I definitely prefer red wines over white. I am particularly interested in Pinotages, as they are native to South Africa (from what I understand), but I also love Cabernets and Pinot Noirs. I am not as familiar with other reds, such as Burgundy, but I am very willing to try to wines and learn. While I do love and appreciate good wine, I must admit that my wine palate is not quite as refined as I'd like. We are sort of mid-level enophiles.

Thanks so much for the help!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
4. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

If you like pinot noir, you will like pinotages as they are crossed in.

I'd suggest working out what your interests are, are you looking to try a variety, focus on something unique, research a certain production method or just have a great afternoon out then find a winery that caters to that.

Hermanus, South...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Rpat,

Firstly, one day or possibly two to cover Stlnbsch, Franschhoek and or Paarl is too little time because each stop at a winery is an experience and time flies. Then traveling between farms has to be added.

Secondly, to answer which farms to visit becomes a matter of taste. There are so many, many.

But based on what you seem to prefer I would say go to Beyerskloof specifically for their Pinotage. The owner, Beyers Truter, is SA's great Pinotage master and his son who is now the winemaker is following in his dad' footsteps. You could then trip to Kanonkop where Beyers first established himself and where this farm continues to be one of the best in reds. On the way there you should stop at Simonsig. This farm has an extensive high quality range including their MCC (I.e. champagne ) which I am sure will go down well on your honeymoon. Just a little further on the same road is Slaley. I have always been impressed with their Shiraz.

These few are situate on the northern side of Stlnbsch meaning that we have not even touched on all the many farms south, east and west of the town! It does not work trekking forwards and backwards hence I would recommend moving between farms reasonably close together. Perhaps then those wineries on the Stlnbsch - Somerset West road(south) and so on. It also depends if you would like to fave lunch at a restaurant on a farm/winery.

Then maybe do three or so in Stlnbsch and then head to Franschhoek for lunch and perhaps one or two tastings afterwards if you are up to it. My personal advice is to limit tastings in the morning and finish off with a late lunch. If you are driving yourself then all the more so as you would have to take care on alcohol intake.

The Stlnbsch - Franschhoek - Paarl region is beautiful with many interesting sights. Thus other than concentrating on wine tasting you could also enjoy just visiting or popping into some classic places such as Boschendal on the way to Franschhoek , etc.

Enjoy

W

Belfast
reviews: 77
6. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Doggles - Pinotage may be, in DNA terms, a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsault but in taste terms the two are not alike, so one could easily like one but not the other, or you could like both!

Some interesting advice from Willem and I too would tend to stick to the north of Stellenbosch for red wine and Pinotage- there are a number of very good wineries for red wine in this area - as well as the ones already mentioned (I have not been to Slaley) I would recommend Kanonkop, Kaapzicht and L'Avenir for the Pinotages, and Hartenberg and Rustenberg for other reds but there are loads more

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
7. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

We will have to agree to disagree. The taste profile of the pinot noir is still found in the pinotage. whether or not you like it is up to you :)

Edited: 10:08 am, December 30, 2012
Belfast
reviews: 77
8. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

Doggles

Can I ask how much SA Pinotage you have drunk - I simply do not understand what you mean by Pinotage and Pinot Noir having a related "taste profile" - they taste completely different - SA Pinot Noir ordinarily has a cherry stone flavour on the palate with earthy/smoky undertones hopefully avoiding being too confected whilst SA Pinotage should have an overtly spicy fruit cake/plum flavour and be a lot more full-bodied in the mouth

Where I think we do agree is that it is up to everyone to say what they like or not - I like both wines but you could easily like Pinot Noir but not Pinotage because they are so different

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 91
9. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

I have to agree with you Belfast Taxman. I love Pinot Noir, but intensely dislike pinotage. But then again it is difficult for some people to pick out specific flavours in a wine. They tend to go for more generic classificartions like berry...... Not that there is anything wrong with that- practice makes perfect!

10. Re: Best wineries in Stellenbosch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014